cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
prologau
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 91 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp g62 flashing caps lock

(Note: I also posted this in a related thread.  This is actually where this post belongs)

Wish I had more time.  I have tired some of the suggestions (but not  oven).  We have abandon hope and have moved on. 

I continue to be surprised that HP has done nothing. {Content Removed} clearly there are compelling numbers and evidence of a faulty problem given normal use tantamount to gross negligence on HP’s part both in the product and in handling the complaints.  Even if HP threw me a bone in a discount on an HP product, I could at least meet them half way.  But knowing the problem, and doing absolutely nothing seems so bizarre.  If I had one question for HP it would be “Tell me what I don’t know, that you have taken this route to addressing this issue”. 

I work in Marketing Research (mostly Automotive).  One dissatisfied customer, whose complaint has been ignored, has a much greater affect than that one person.  HP does not just make laptops.  This affects the whole range of products that maybe top of line.  Even if HP does not view this discussion board as an official complaint, it can’t ignore that it exists on their site.  I guess we should be happy that they have not deleted this thread all together.  Just my 2 penny.

0 Kudos
jasreth
Level 1
12 11 0 1
Message 92 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I  agree!  I also had a faulty HP printer about three or four years ago. When replacing an ink cartridge, it got stck halfway in.  A web search turned up numerous people complaining about this problem.  The solution that finally worked was a pair of pliers and about 30-45 minutes of barely perceptible up-down, back-forth wiggling to remove it. It certiany seems to me that HP produced some bad products and refused to acknowledge it. They may have improved in the past few years but I'm not taking the chance. I'm  just an average-income person and I can't afford to replace these rather expensive items on my budget. I don't trust HP.

0 Kudos
mansonboys
1 1 0 1
Message 93 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have found solutions to tough problems like this for most of my career.  So, if HP really wants to fix it, here is how you go about it:

You will need an in-circuit emulator for your processor type, a logic analyzer, a high-speed digital oscilloscope, a copy of the POST (Power On Self Test) code, a schematic of the motherboard  and a dysfunctional laptop.

1. Insert the in-circuit emulator into the processor socket.

2. Power on and, using the emulator,  step through the POST.

3. When the POST finds an error and halts, find the step in the POST code and then find where the POST is getting the data that is failing.

4. Trace the path where the data comes from with the schematic and the logic analyzer.  And, if need be, use the high-speed scope to look for analog anomalies.

5. At this point you should be able to identify EXACTLY what is causing the issue.

Too tough for you?

Highlighted
overheatedhp
Level 1
8 8 0 4
Message 94 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would like to thank all of you on this message board who helped me solve the flashing caps lock problem on my G6.

Special thanks to the person or persons who came up with the idea to heat the computer by wrapping it in a blanket. If not for their suggestion, I probably would have thrown the computer in the dumpster.

This message is to let you know that I decided to reflow my motherboard, like some of you have done, with positive results!

Turns out that it worked for me!  I am happy that it did, knowing that it could have gone the other way like toasting the MOB or something on it.

I have turned my computer on/off for over twenty times now and it is still working.

Not everyone wants to bake their MOB in the oven like a loaf of bread. There are instructions on youtube.com that show you how to do it. You could read Reflows message and get info there.

Baking it at 385 degrees for 10 minutes seems to be the recommended way to go.

So, this tells me, that the problem on my MOB was a bad solder joint, and reflowing the solder bridged the gap and reconnected the circuit.

What caused this? Overheating? Poor workmanship? 

Because many of you have been able to get your machine to boot using the blanket method, this leads me to think that it's a poorly made MOB that only lasts long enough to get past the year warranty. 

I guess it's luck of the draw with HP. I have a Dell, and Lenovo and they work just fine.

I will use this HP G6 until it stops working.........then into the trash it will go.

I don't want to buy any more HP products, not because it failed, but because of the indifference and lack of customer support and appreaciation shown by the staff at HP. I could go on about this but I won't.

Anyone else still have this flashing caps lock issue?

Newbees still joining the ranks of unhappy customers?

Or, maybe the problem will solve itself? 

Maybe HP has secretly remedied this issue by purchasing better made, longer lasting MOBs without telling anyone of course!

I'm done!

jasreth
Level 1
12 11 0 1
Message 95 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overheatedhp - 

Thank you for your post and the instructions on reflow. My HP is still sitting in the back of the closet and I'm willing to try baking the MOB. Before I do that, though, I'd really like to hear whether the solution holds up after, say, a month of steady use. When I replaced the CMOS battery, the laptop worked quite well for a few weeks before starting the flashing caps nonsense again. Please update us when you can. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Reflow
4 4 0 1
Message 96 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I has been more than one week since the motherboard has been reflowed and no problem up to now.  No need to heat up the computer with the blanket trick anymore, it starts normally as it should.  I did not try replacing the CMOS battery because I think it is still good.  Usually the computer starts loosing time (you have to reset the correct time) when the CMOS battery is going dead.  Good luck with the REFLOW!

0 Kudos
overheatedhp
Level 1
8 8 0 4
Message 97 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jasreth!

I baked my motherboard last thursday and it is still working. I've been turning the computer on and off at least 3 or 4 times a day.  It's been running cool.......Hwinfo32/64 is a free program that will monitor your computer if you have sensors installed.

Go to Snapfiles.com if you need a good monitor/diagnostic program. It's freeware and there are many good freeware programs on this site. I have been going to Snapfiles.com for many years without any problems.

I want to monitor the G6 to make sure that  it doesn't get to hot now that it is turning on/off like a normal computer. I am still wondering if heat may have caused my G6 to get into that flashing caps lock condition.

I say this because someone earlier had suggested that they thought that maybe a BIOS upgrade that they had just performed might have had something to do with their problem.  I had also just performed a HP recommened BIOS upgrade right before my problem surfaced. I noticed that afterwards the G6 seemed to be runing hotter to the touch. Just a coincidence? Or, cause of the flashing caps lock issue?

Not sure.

You can go to youtube.com and look for a a video that shows you how to replace the motherboard on your G6. There's one that shows a tech disassembling the G6 in a short period of time and taking apart the motherboard and then re-assembling the G6. It's good for a reference should you forget in what order to re-assemble your machine. Don't force anything!

You can also find a video on how to reflow your motherboard.......Try going to the link that can be found on Reflow's post. It's post number 89. The second link is good. I think Reflow had good results also!

Make sure you get everything that can melt off the board. I covered all of the areas with foil and only exposed the solder connections for the CPU and Video chip. I rested the board on 4 crumpled up pieces of foil. Make sure you don't put the board into the oven upside down!

I didn't have any issues with fumes or smoke. That's why it is important to take anything off that can melt.

I did open my windows and turn on an exhaust fan as a precaution. I think I went almost 10 minutes at 385 degrees. . Probably 8 minutes is good.  I turned the oven off and let the board cool down in the oven before I got it out.

One  person posted that if his didn't take the first tme, that he would do it for a second time. Hope you don't have to do that! I didn't have to! 

I sure wouldn't rely on it for a presentation in front of hundreds of people.......I'd have a back up!

Once a problem like this develops and you don't get it taken care of by the manufacture.....Your confidence and trust in the machine goes away. It did for me. I am happy if I can get more time out of this machine.

I didn't want to spend $300.00 to send it in because I felt that HP should have been a bit more understanding about their equipment failing........and at least give their customers a break....but that wasn't on their agenda.

Good luck if you decide to reflow. 

You will know if your machine will work or not and you won't have to wonder about it any more!

0 Kudos
jasreth
Level 1
12 11 0 1
Message 98 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you "reflow" and "overheatedhp" for the advice - and everyone else posting here. Knowing what doesn't work is as often as valuable as knowing what does, as evidenced by the number of people who decided not to invest in useless repairs. Kudos to you ALL for stepping up and moving the discussion forward.

0 Kudos
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 99 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm the guy that discovered the blanket trick by mistake. I have been following this thread since I posted and I am very happy I was able to help alot of you out to get to your files. Thank you for the Kudos.
I have seen many suggestions on how to fix this issue and laughed a few times at some of the suggestions posted as if we were hi tech gurus lol.
The reason I am writing now is to personally thank, in return, the user "overheatedhp". I baked my MB today and the laptop came on first try. I will be playing with it alot in the next few days so I will keep you posted. Thank you so much if this works even if it's just for a few months.
HP...shame on you. I will NOT buy another hp laptop and will post this to facebook.
0 Kudos
SpaCedOut
2 2 0 1
Message 100 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The nerve of HP to pretend to be "afk" this whole thread. Yeah I will never buy another HP machine either. A company like this that makes it so the customers have to be tech support for other customers needs to go out of business and move aside for another company with a better business model. Not only do they completely ignore the issue, but they try to scam more money out of people by suggesting hardware replacements, which fixes nothing. So yeah we were able to problem solve the HP issue, and it will be a decent back up laptop for a few years until it's obsolete, then we will all move on to get an Asus!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation