09-09-2013 09:06 AM
OverHeatedHP: yes, the reflowed board is still working. Actually, the fan used to spin as maximum speed pretty much all the time on that computer before that and now, it doesn't anymore. For some weird reason, the computer does not seem to overheat as much as it used too.
BjBnet: you could try baking it longer... I have seen protocols where people bake for 8min at 385F at first, but go up to 15 minutes if it doesn't work. Good luck!
09-09-2013 12:07 PM
That's good Reflow!
It's funny, now that you mention it, my G6 's fan seemed like it was always running..
Now the machine seems to run much cooler and the fan doesn't come on as much.
Glad that your computer is still working! Mine is too!
09-14-2013 08:15 AM
09-14-2013 08:19 AM
On a better note, even though I get the blinking caps still, it happens less often. Can't wait to bake it again when I get a chance.
09-14-2013 09:59 AM
All the suggestions posted here are temorary fixes at best. There are only 2 real Solutions.
1. A professional reflow (infrared reflow station) and the addition of a copper plate cut to fit, to prevent overheating again.
2. throw the **bleep** thing away, and never buy another HP product again.
09-14-2013 10:37 AM
I totally agree with you, but my sister can not afford another computer right now, so hoping to find a solution for her. So is your best guess on this issue Over heating which would cause CPU to malfunction, even if the computer can reboot at times when left on for a while?
If it takes a while to reboot with the esc button on restart after being left on should she take the battery out
and not use? I believe the computer stays in one location and is not moved. Leaving the cord plug in all the time without the battery should not hurt the computer? The battery can be at 100%, but if it takes 40 minutes or longer not great on the battery. It is a 4 hour one.
Thanks for your advice I agree no one should buy another HP ever!
09-14-2013 12:34 PM
Its not the CPU. Its the video chip. It came with cheap solder, and no thermal paste, or heatsink. It over heats, detaches from the board, and renders the machine useless.. . In my opinion, this laptop, and several other models (DV 6000 series, im looking at you) were built to fail. Here's why.
You tell me...
As mentioned before the cheap solder is an issue, but only one part of the overall problem. It almost seems these models were made to overheat.
The fan vents on many HP laptops like this one have very closely stacked copper fins in the exhaust vent ( the vent found on the back left of you laptop. ) they collect dust and debris quickly and build up to what looks like dryer lint, blocking the entire vent, and causing the laptop to overheat (if your keyboard is more then slightly warm, its happening). on many laptops, this is easily fixed by blowing spray air in the exhaust vent, while putting a vacuum on the intake vent (the one on the bottom that you can see the fan through) Hp however makes a lot these vents hard to vacuum because of very small holes. The other method is to open up the laptop and manually clean the fan, and vent. This requires a bit more skill, but on most laptops is fairly easy. HP however, makes it extremely difficult to do this by placing part of the fan housing under the mainboard, requiring you to pull the board, in other words a complete disassemble of the laptop, just to clean a fan.
All the techniques discussed, including a pro reflow, will only reattach the original bad solder. Its only a matter of time before it happens again
Now days, you can buy a decent laptop for around $300. I know that's still a chunk of change for most people, but its better then driving yourself mad trying to keep these "made to fail" machines running.
as technician who is all to familiar with this issue, This is my $0.02
09-14-2013 01:33 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain very much appreciaed! I will just quit and tell her to baby this along until she can replace it. I will suggest she leave the battery out and just use the plug if she is going to leave it on. That's the best I guess we can do at this point. It will not boot up on cold start just after it's been on a while.
09-23-2013 12:32 PM
I am another victim of this problem and I am very very thankful I found this board as I had no idea what was happening and it would have NEVER of occured to me to wrap my laptop in a blanket to get it to boot! (Which is what I did and of course it worked!)
As a temporary fix is there a down side to just leaving my laptop on all the time? I can set the power save to just turn off the screen... I use it as a desktop most of the time anyways...