cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 4 0 1
Message 111 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp g62 flashing caps lock

OverHeatedHP: yes, the reflowed board is still working.  Actually, the fan used to spin as maximum speed pretty much all the time on that computer before that and now, it doesn't anymore.  For some weird reason, the computer does not seem to overheat as much as it used too.

BjBnet: you could try baking it longer...   I have seen protocols where people bake for 8min at 385F at first, but go up to 15 minutes if it doesn't work.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
Level 1
8 8 0 4
Message 112 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's good Reflow!

It's funny, now that you mention it, my G6 's fan seemed like it was always running..

Now the machine seems to run much cooler and the fan doesn't come on as much.

Glad that your computer is still working! Mine is too! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
16 12 0 1
Message 113 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have been working on my sister's Laptop G62-34oUS with the same problems. Powers up fine, black screen with blinking Caps key. The other day I read someone said holding the ESC key down on Booting up, it did work for me only after trying several time and the computer had to be on for at less 40 min, turned it off holding the esc.key on rebooting. Everything is working fine so no new parts needed as so many have mention LCD screen or something that needed replacing. I did every check that I could while the computer was working. So after days of going thru all suggestion the problem remains will not start until the computer has been running for a while then I turn it off and hold the esc key on rebooting. I still need help!!!!! NOTE: Made notes from other users with the same problem...seem to happen all around the same time June. makes me think maybe has something to do with a Microsoft update.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 114 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try pressing esc lightly. I wonder if pressing down on it puts pressure on the board making the bad solder connect.
On a better note, even though I get the blinking caps still, it happens less often. Can't wait to bake it again when I get a chance.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
16 12 0 1
Message 115 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is REFLOW and Baking? Is it a fix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 14 0 6
Message 116 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All the suggestions posted here are temorary fixes at best. There are only 2 real Solutions.  

1. A professional reflow (infrared reflow station) and the addition of a copper plate cut to fit, to prevent overheating again.
2. throw the **bleep** thing away, and never buy another HP product again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
16 12 0 1
Message 117 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I totally agree with you, but my sister can not afford another computer right now, so hoping to find a solution for her. So is your best guess on this issue Over heating which would cause CPU to malfunction, even if the computer can reboot at times when left on for a while?

If it takes a while to reboot with the esc button on restart after being left on should she take the battery out

and not use? I believe the computer stays in one location and is not moved. Leaving the cord plug in all the time without the battery should not hurt the computer? The battery can be at 100%, but if it takes 40 minutes or longer not great on the battery. It is a 4 hour one.

Thanks for your advice I agree no one should buy another HP ever!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 14 0 6
Message 118 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Its not the CPU. Its the video chip. It came with cheap solder, and no thermal paste, or heatsink. It over heats, detaches from the board, and renders the machine useless.. . In my opinion, this laptop, and several other models (DV 6000 series, im looking at you) were built to fail.  Here's why.
You tell me...

As mentioned before the cheap solder is an issue, but only one part of the overall problem.  It almost seems these models were made to overheat.

The fan vents on many HP laptops like this one have very closely stacked copper fins in the exhaust vent ( the vent found on the back left of you laptop. ) they collect dust and debris quickly and build up to what looks like dryer lint, blocking the entire vent, and causing the laptop to overheat (if your keyboard is more then slightly warm, its happening).  on many laptops, this is easily fixed by blowing spray air in the exhaust vent, while putting a vacuum on the intake vent (the one on the bottom that you can see the fan through) Hp however makes a lot these vents hard to vacuum because of very small holes. The other method is to open up the laptop and manually clean the fan, and vent. This requires a bit more skill, but on most laptops is fairly easy. HP however, makes it extremely difficult to do this by placing part of the fan housing under the mainboard, requiring you to pull the board, in other words a complete disassemble of the laptop, just to clean a fan. 
All the techniques discussed, including a pro reflow, will only reattach the original bad solder. Its only a matter of time before it happens again
Now days, you can buy a decent laptop for around $300. I know that's still a chunk of change for most people, but its better then driving yourself mad trying to keep these "made to fail" machines running.

as technician who is all to familiar with this issue, This is my $0.02

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
16 12 0 1
Message 119 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to explain very much appreciaed! I will just quit and tell her to baby this along until she can replace it. I will suggest she leave the battery out and just use the plug if she is going to leave it on. That's the best I guess we can do at this point. It will not boot up on cold start just after it's been on a while.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 120 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am another victim of this problem and I am very very thankful I found this board as I had no idea what was happening and it would have NEVER of occured to me to wrap my laptop in a blanket to get it to boot! (Which is what I did and of course it worked!)

As a temporary fix is there a down side to just leaving my laptop on all the time?  I can set the power save to just turn off the screen...  I use it as a desktop most of the time anyways...

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation