cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TonySav1
1 1 0 0
Message 171 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp g62 flashing caps lock

I can't bvelieve it...

I ripped what hair I have left out for 3 weeks...

I'm in IT, client dropped of G62.. bad fan over heating...

Replaced it and BAMB!

wouldnt start...

Bad CPU...

Replaced Processor, re-wired it 5 times.. gave up told customer lost cause...

Saw this.. Overheated with a hoodie for 2 hours, fan kicked up, Hard shut down,... power button and (Cue angle choir)... It's on like Donkey Kong

I even registered for the forums to share this...

If I didnt see it, I wiouldnt have believed it...

It really worked...

Thanks to all ahead of me who tried and praised the method..

Tonysavarese1@gmail.com

Boston IT

www.iscreens.net

0 Kudos
dammytech
3 2 0 0
Message 172 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This article is so much helpful to me. Initially when my HP G62 screen turn blank I was unable to do anything with it I took it to some technician they change some display chips on it and it start working fine. After two days the screen start flicking when starting up and. Finally on the six day after repaired it went off again and it wouldn't display again. When I come across this forum it has help me a lot. I turn it on for 15 to 20 minute and off it back... Turn it ON again and it start working fine.... Any possible out come solution to prevent this **bleep** from happening again will be appreciate... Big thanks to ( BjBnet) for the great discovery.
0 Kudos
AgentofSpectr
Level 2
15 14 0 6
Message 173 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Covers face with hand. Does anyone actually read the whole thread? Throw these pos laptops away! There is no good fix for them. (There is one, but it will cost more then the laptop is worth) And did one guy say he did the blanket trick on a customers computer?!!! If you're lucky, it will last for a few days, weeks, maybe months before it's right back to where it was. The solder you are reflowing with this parlor trick was crap to begin with, hence the problem. Reflowing cheap, spent solder is like putting a patch on a bald tire. A temporary fix at best. If you are trying to breath a little life back into it so it will get you through till you get a new machine, then by all means, but handing one of these back to a customer as fixed is just wrong. Let me be clear. The only way to truly fix these is to remove the chipset, remove and replace the old solder, and professionally reflow on a reflow station. As most of these machines are in the realm of 5-7 years old, totally not worth it. Suck it up, sell the working parts, and get a different laptop. Also look up "penny wise vs pound foolish".
0 Kudos
Reflow
4 4 0 1
Message 174 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's been more than 7 months since I performed a REFLOW on the motherboard and it is still fine. (See message 89 for details).  Since the motherboard was cooked in the oven (really!), the problem has not shown up ever again (for now at least).  I am not sure if you can about a cure for this problem, maybe it's only a remission (just as with a cancer...).  But at least, you don't need to warm up the computer 10-15 min before starting it (aka the blanket trick).  Look in to it!

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

http://www.ehow.com/how_12227296_fix-reflow-nvidia-hp.html

0 Kudos
BIGGS2013
4 3 0 0
Message 175 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've fixed many HPs and I found you're best bet is to send the board to get "Reflowed" by one of the services on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-CQ62-G62-592808-001-LAPTOP-MOTHERBOARD-REPAIR-NEW-CHIPSET-FREE-COPPER-SHI...
0 Kudos
Ainis
3 3 0 0
Message 176 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been using blanket trick for 10 months already. It still works, annoying, but works. Tried to reflow in owen once, but after 3x starts it died and since then didn't bothered and using a blanket or hair dryer if I need to start quicker (looks funny when people see hairdryer and laptop in same place).
As ugly as it is from HP but you can call this planned aging. Watch the movie:"The Light Bulb Conspiracy" (2010) and you'll understand what this is all about.
0 Kudos
rallymanuk
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 177 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After the last g62 i repaired (by the way is still working fine) i recently just repaired the same  laptop a g62, the caps lock light flashing. Disassemble the laptop ( lots of videos on youtube will show you how ) after taking out the motherboard and turning it over to reveal the heatsink and fan, remove the 3 screws and put the heatsink and fan at one side unlock the processor and remove it, the graphics chip is at the side of the processor housing. Just get some tin foil fold it several times rub it on the grphics chip to get the shape of the square and cut out the square. Place the tin foil back on the graphics chip with the square exposed and heat it up with a hot air gun for about 60 seconds moving the heat gun back and forth.Let this then cool off for an hour and then replace and lock the processor back into place. Apply heatsink compound to both the porocessor and the graphics chip, before replacing the heatsink clean out the fan housing and the end mesh of the heatsink. Rebuild the laptop and test. This worked again for me and both machines are running just fine.

0 Kudos
kayadeel
4 4 0 1
Message 178 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I was having the same problem. My hp pavilion dv6 suddenly stop working. The sign were similar like black screen and caps/num lock light blinking. So I start googling what's wrong with my machine after attempting different kind of solutions, I found one works for me.

This method is called reflowing, In this remedy you have to heat up your mother board in a certain way. You will find reflow videos on youtube easily.

This method works for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 179 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh that's sounds like a good idea, seems I've heard that elsewhere too
jordan223
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 180 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I first of all would love to thank you. You saved me and my wonderful grade in school. I have a tx2 and was having a similar problem. My caps lock and num lock less were flashing once every second or so. I came across this post and decided at this point it wouldn't hurt to try and within 5 min my fan kicked in high gear and I restarted it and voila it turned on. I've had my laptop since 09 so I figured it was done for and I was just screwed when it came to my school work. So thank you again.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation