cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 191 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp g62 flashing caps lock

Maybe it's too hot. Try it again. Sometimes it takes a few tries although when mine was too hot the light would just stay on amd not blink. I would then keep trying to reboot until it got cool enough. It could also be that it just won't work. Good luck. I finally through mine out a few months ago and got an IBM Alienware...too bad HP, that $1500 could have been yours. Now your employees will suffer along with you.
dkocian
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 192 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I posted this in another thread before I found this one.  Reading this thread is enough to make anyone run away from anthing HP.

I have a dv6-2155dx. I hit the power key and just get a single flash of the LED's, which repeats just the single flash every 5 seconds or so. As everyone here noted, HP site says it is a CPU error.

I replaced the CPU.  No help.  Still flashing.
I had the motherboard reflowed" and rebuilt by a professional organization on ebay.  Supposedly repaired. Did not work.  Still flashing.
I bought another motherboard refurbished by a certified HP repair shop.
Took old motherboard out. Took new motherboard with nothing connected but the cpu and fan and plugged it in. Lo and behold, it went into post. No screen hooked up, but definitely went further than single LED flash.  I was excited.

Started putting laptop back together, testing every step of the way to see what would change from booting into POST or not booting and just giving me the flashing LED. Mounting peripheals did not change anything. However, when I went to snap on the top of the case, it went from booting to single flash. Took apart dozens of times, covering items with plastic to try and insulate them. Nothing.  Boots up fine, until I put the top cover on.
Obviously, there is a short somewhere but I am having a devil of a time finding it.  Either a short, or the pressure from putting on the top cover is twisting the motherboard and causing a solder joint to come undone.  However, that seems unlikely when I have a newly reflowed motherboard and a newly reconditioned on and it does the same on both.

Does anyone have any idea what could be shorting out to cause this? It only happens when I snap the top case on to the bottom case and put in the first set of screws in the back to hold it. Before I even install the keyboard or the screen.
I now have a second motherboard I don't need and a second cpu I don't need. Case is not damaged and granddaughter swears she never dropped it. I cannot figure out what is causing the short or the break. No signs of anything deformed anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.  I thought some of you that had gone through all the heating and reflowing would find this interesting in that I can stop the blinking issue by just dismantling the motherboard from the case.  Nothing to do with heat but possibly related to bad solder.  Even that sounds unlikely since I had one board reflowed and another one is an HP authorized refurbished motherboard.  I have already spent several hundred dollars to try and fix this.  Bound and determined to solve it.  I just can't figure out what is going on.  I have installed the motherboard into the bottom case and it boots fine.  Pushing on it in every place I can makes no difference.  It still works.  Only when I screw down the top case does it fail.  It is like something on the top case is shorting out something on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
dkocian
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 193 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For those of you following this thread, which has over 57,000 views, you might find it interesting that if you search the HP forums for the exact title (not to mention if you search for any part of it), you will not be given this thread as being applicable.  It appears that HP removed this thread from their search engine results so that others could not find it.  No other explanation that I can think of.

HP does show the new threads with 1 to 5 replies.

0 Kudos
ElYero
2 2 0 0
Message 194 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Everyone, i see a lot of HP users having this problem, if you attemp to fix it and after booting up a couple of times the G62 decide not to boot up again it's because the GPU its not making proper contact with the Heatsink. For This Problem to get fixed you need to either apply a new Thermal Pad on top of the GPU to make a little pressure between the Heatsink and the GPU and keep it cool. The other option it's to put a copper with thermal paste(preferably Artic Silver or Ceramique). a little thermal paste, the copper, and a little more thermal paste on top of the metal. That way your computer won't have a gap between the heatsink and the GPU. if you only apply thermal paste on top of the GPU the Heatsink wont make propper contact(THIS WILL ALSO CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO OVERHEAT). yeriel305@gmail.com if you have any question!

0 Kudos
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 195 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good advice but no that won't work, go ahead and try it, works fine on xbox360. The purpose of the paste is to conduct the heat better between the gpu and the heatsink and to ensure there is no air in between so to allow for better heat dissipation. The problem is though, laptop isn't shutting down because of heat issues...it's not coming on at all. Read through the whole thread. Thanks for trying though.
ElYero
2 2 0 0
Message 196 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi. If you computer its doing the 1 Blink Caps Lock this will Fix it. I haz Fix 2 G62 and had been working as New. 1 for 6 months already and the other one 2 months since i Fix it. Open your computer again and check if the GPU and the HEATSINK it's making contact.
0 Kudos
dkocian
Level 1
9 7 0 1
Message 197 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is not a lack of contact between GPU and Heatsink.  I have had my motherboard reflowed and reinstalled GPU with new paste.  No change.  I replaced GPU and reinstalled with new paste.  No change.  I bought HP refurbished motherboard and installed new cpu with new paste.  No change.  I installed old GPU in new motherboard with new paste.  No change.  i reinstalled old GPU in new motherboard with new paste.  No change.

What happens is the board will work fine outside the case.  It will work fine installed into the bottom case (which is the side where the GPU and heatsink are installed.  It will quit booting and go to the single flash when the top cover is installed.  With the motherboard installed in the bottom case, I have prodded and probed and pushed everywhere on the motherboard and surrounding connections trying to make it go to the single flash.  It will not.  Then I install the top cover and it goes immediately to the single flash.

I was hoping that someone at HP would read this and advise just what could be shorting it out, or causing a break in a circuit that could cause this.  All that I have seen from HP on this thread has been elementary responses from someone that has obviously not read all of the complaints. 

To date, heat has been shown as a "solution", albeit temporary, and not a "cause" of the problem.  This could easily be translated into a bad solder joint issue.  However, with the numerous reflows, including the diy oven techniques, which did not solve the problem, if this is the issue, it is going to be almost impossible to solve.  In my case, i had a professional reflow and also bought a refurbished motherboard.  Neither worked to solve the problem.

The mechanical aspect of the problem is what caused me to join the thread.  I am wondering if anyone else has tried to fire up their board outside of the case to see if they experience the same result.  If we can duplicate the problem, then we can concentrate on where the solution may lie. 

Personally, I think some part of the case is shorting out something on the motherboard, or it is putting pressure in a precise spot that is causing a solder joint disconnect.  Otherwise, pushing or twisting the motherboard while just installed in the bottom part of the case would replicate the problem.  So far, it has not.

CheezyGamer16
Level 1
6 5 0 3
Message 198 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright, so I must say... I could not belive the blanket method worked on my compaq presario 

cQ61! YES!!! I am using it to type this very message but I already had an account on the HP support forum to adress my computers issue. Alright so I'd say my computer is 2 1/2 years old but for a $600+ laptop, I was expecting a longer lifespan especially from the compaq series everyone recommends, at least until they discovered the blasted design flaw with a bad heatsink on most of these modles. I had to learn the hardway myself around march 2014 when one night I decided to call it a day and head to sleep, I shut down the computer properly, NO Software issues or anything of that matter! It simply shut down as it did every other night and I woke up the next morning. I head on over to turn it on and I was really tired so  I wasn't really paying attention until I realized my external monitor was still black, open the laptop back up and there we were.... The BSOD with the HP light code 1 suggesting CPU error. I knew there was nothing wrong with the CPU so why does HP design their onboard diagnostic tools to lie? Its almost as though they do this on purpose so you can send it in for repair, that is after the warranty has expired. Back then I wasn't as knowledged about this whole situation as I am now so I ordered a new CPU off Ebay. I took the lapop apart (I do have experience) and placed the new CPU.... Turned it on and guess what! SAME problem. Thanks alot onboard diagnostics tool. Alright so I basically gave up at this point. A couple months later I brought it out because I felt it was infair how it broke and there had to be a solution.  I saw this youtube comment suggesting that if you let the computer run with the blink codes for 10 minutes shut it off and turn it right back on it would work. This truly did work for me but I still don't know why or how! My happiness stayed until after what you would call my "two week trial" the computer worked and then I got to the dreaded day where no matter what I tried it just wouldn't boot. I later figured out it was a GPU cheap soldering problem because HP is so considerate of their customers that they use the cheapest possible lead free material. I attempted to reflow the GPU with a heat gun and that didn't work (I reflowed it propely etc... yes I obviously opened it up) and yet nothing. There was no way I was sticking it in the oven, it seemed a little too extream for the temperature sensative components on the MB. I gave the blanket trick a try because of a high success rate and hopefully enough, it worked and one thing I did notice that was really odd was the screen during my "two week trial" was black but after the blanket method it turned back on! Before this I just assumed I improperly connected the LCD with the motherboard months ago when I was replacing the CPU. So yes, its a graphics card error and I can confirm this with the ATI GPU's not just Nvidia. HP, all I can say is forget about me purchasing another one of your computers AGAIN. I love how people need to heat their computers to a dangerous temperature to backup all their personal data on what was supposed to be a RELIABLE product. My next computer will be a Lenovo and its on its way. HP, just stick with what your good at, stupid prewritten responses and ignorance. Yeah, I'll totally set a system restore for my system, right after I call the magic computer fairy to get it to boot. I give all credit to the person who helped me find this temporary blanket solution, but if I were any of you with this problem, I'd just move on.

My$0.02

0 Kudos
BjBnet
Level 3
18 18 0 18
Message 199 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad I could help another person out. I did the same, bought a CPU off ebay and it didn't fix it. Thanks for the kudos and I encourage EVERYONE to share this on Facebook and all other social media sites. I'm tired of being ignored or lied to by HP.
CheezyGamer16
Level 1
6 5 0 3
Message 200 of 200
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know how you feel, I just can't beleive HP isn't doing anything about this, I mean my PC wasn't even in the G series and it has the same problem with thousands of others, at least a recall maybe? What's the point, they can't even give you a proper logical response to your help request topics, then you expect them to do something about this haha? Their customer support is a joke. As I said before, I'd go with Lonovo, Asus, Acer or Apple. I'd buy a printer from HP, if my last one wouldn't force me to buy their other colored ink cartriges just to print in black and white. HP, I'm done.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation