cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 109
Flag Post

Hp pavilion dv6 overheating really quickly.

HP Recommended

So I have had my Dv6 for a while now and its fan always is on fully, and does not stop whirring. I sometimes play games on it, but noticed the processor shooting up to 90 degrees Celsius really quickly. and the same with the Ati Gpu. I have an intel core i7 Q720, and thought that ho would equip the laptop with a good enough cooling system.

I have taken these approaches so far:

1-bought an external fan table

result: little to no change

2- Set the maximum processor speed on 35%

result: no change in performance, but it still heats up to around 80

So what can I do to ensure the heat does not rise so far?

Thank you guys in advance. :generic:

PS: I have read most of the posts asaking the same question, but most do not have the same processor and I have tried all the solutions posted by some helpful members.

108 REPLIES 108
Highlighted
Level 12
12,390 12,218 582 1,541
Message 2 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it is a bad cooling design, (I am not saying your is) there is not much you can do.

If it is another problem like an improperly installed heasink, this can be repaired by a reputable repair shop.

Do you have a warranty?

This may be normal operating temperatures for this model notebook and i7 Q720 processor, you would have to compare to others with the same hardware specs as yours.

Highlighted
Level 3
30 29 1 5
Message 3 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a dv6-2106tx with an i7-720, it does run very hot, if you are competent at pulling it apart (it's actually much easier than you might think) I would do so and check the dust build up around the cooling fins, I would also suggest replacing the thermal paste with something like Artic Silver 5, I would also suggest running it on a notebook cooler like a Zalman NC2000.

Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello I Have HP DV6-3170EE 

Last day I was asked from my friends about my laptop I told them that I buy 3 in 1 Product because It's a heater, microwave and a laptop and they supose that I'm kidding. HP Laptops are the best but most of people have the same problems the over heating ????? I'd tried every thing to make it cool but no happen .

Please I need fast reply I'm living in a hot country this mean that i will can't use my laptops in summer ???  

Highlighted
Level 3
30 29 1 5
Message 5 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

About all you can do is use something like a Zalman NC2000 under it, I use one with my DV7, keeps it pretty cool, will be getting one for my DV6 also.

Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 6 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, first comment for me in this forum and I'm new here!

I bought this Laptop for univeristy work, presentations, for me I prefer desktops (have two) but one needs needs Laptops,

Found this dv6 laptop (i7 CPU Q 720) have short Battery life (around 50 minutes) and needs time to turn on and most important it overheats quickly till 90 degrees! same as your problem! so what is good for? its purpose to help me outisde home in uni and I found that can't work with it unless it is puggled and charging and hate to turn it off because it needs around 3 minutes to fully start so I choose to Hibernate it (knowing that it is not a case of virus because I don't use USBs and i have Kaspersky antivirus since first time I bought this pc)...

My question is it safe to heat till 90? or this is mot usuall

- when working with Adobe photoshop and mozilla plus media player like it reaches till 64 degrees

-pockettank it reahces 68

-Need for speed 11 it reached 90!!!

I'm Thankful in advance for any reply

regards from Lebanon

Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 7 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

I have a DV6-3170se and I have the same problem,,Again. HP replaced my machine with the same model, with the help of my retailer, and the problem is much less, but, it is still a problem. The machine runs CPU temps around 65 degrees while antivirus is doing the scan. Left idle it goes down to 43-45 degrees Celsius. When it gets hot it heats the left side of the computer (metal clad, so it really hurts your hand). The only time the computer cools down is when the battery is charging. When the battery is charging, the fan runs fast and cools the unit. When the battery is fully charged, or the computer is running on battery, it gets really hot and the fan runs only on minimal speed.

Please, could we get some response from HP engineers. I went to the retailer and checked the units on Demo and it seems that they have the same problem.

Thanks.

Ausama

Highlighted
2 2 0 2
Message 8 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My daughter bought a dv6 in September 2010 for her first year of high school. It has ALWAYS been way too hot on the bottom, so much so that she could not use it on her lap. HP said that unless the unit shut itself off, there was no overheating issue. We took it Office Depot (where she purchased it) and they suggested that we purchase a $75 cooling pad, so we did. Fast forward 6 months of totally unsatisfactory performance, we think that perhaps there is a virus and purchase a new anti-virus software. No change at all. Now that the computer is 18 months old and conveniently out of warranty, the overheating issue has burned up the hard drive. I told HP that I would gladly pay to replace the hard drive but would really appreciate them addressing the over heating issue first. Guess what, they promise to transfer you to a service manager and your call gets lost in India. No disrespect, but the truth is the truth. HP claims they have no knowledge of any heating issues with these notebooks. HEELLOO?

Any suggestions? The poor kid spent a good chunk of change and HP could care less. Is it worth replacing the hard drive only to burn another up with the heating issues?

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 5
Message 9 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very sad to see this thread and quite upset.

28, male ,canada

Update:  This thread needs more views for it to even matter.

I was excited about this laptop purchase, i can game with this laptop so easily, i got home plugged it in; from the first day i bought my DV6 i5 ATI 1024mb vid card laptop it ran rly hot. To this day it still runs hot, jus recently jus out of warranty date(i believe 1 year?) while youtubing it ran passed 105 degrees and turned in itself off, the side vents are untouchable and it feels like the keyboard is melting.

i do use a cooler master laptop base, i was forced to buy another cooler to break it and attach the fans to it giving me 4 fans below the laptop, that helped a bit it still felt like the keyboard was melting.

That's my story, now what this is , its a POORLY design laptop case, the chip and vidcard are suffocating in there, from day 1 when i bought it, very sad, and HP isnt doing anything about this, i can jus imagine your DV6 i7's. 

This laptop always runs over 100 degrees regardless of what you are doing, youtube, movie, gaming.

my i5 cost me 1200 at future shop, and i feel ripped off. Even with futureshops crappy service and repair , this thing needs to be replaced, and for anyone in the last 2 years that bought one deserves a newer more up to date product. This is an ATROCITY

TLDR

-No dust in the laptop

-barely used everything is clean

-done everything i could do

-$1200 + many coolers to try and keep it cool

-can idle from 70-85, performs at 105 degrees to shutdown

-HP customer care is a run around and no one believes you .

-Worst design in performance laptop history

Also, due to it having a GPU saver from ATI to intel, you cant update the graphics drivers for your ATI card. Always an error on the AMD website saying its not compatible)

I want a new laptop

theres alot of us out there with DV6's. We pretty much all got ripped. Im jus really mad about the heat, this thing wasn't good enough to be released.

From what i read as well, there isnt a competent admin on these forums either and HP doesnt care they jus move on and make more money.

Never buy an hp product again

(yes this is my first post!)

Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 10 of 109
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OMG - My HP DV6 gets so hot, I'm concerned about the possibility of a fire!!!  It's been hot since I bought it new.  I have never seen any warnings from HP so I assume it is safe to keep using.  At first the fan had an annoying whir (faster, slower, faster, slower, etc..)  Now it runs constantly and can't be touched.  It's not much of a "laptop" if you can't put it on your lap.  I see many, many complaints about these laptops running hot.  I will never buy another HP laptop again.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation