Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp spectre X2 h200
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hello
I have a big problem my hp spectre keyboard isnt working . The weird thing is that the first time it stopped i was able to fix it by detaching the screen then i started pressing the function keys it worked . Later i detached it to see if it worked but when i reattached it it wouldnt work. I ve been searching all over the internet for solutions and i tried everything nothing worked !!
The weird thing is that the mouse pad and the ports work fine .
Plus sometimes when im charging from the dock the tablet wont charge.
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Try the troubleshooting on the following HP document. You can need  use the onscreen keyboard for this.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The weirdest thing happened . I tried what they said which was to uninstall the device from device manager than to restart,it worked for like 10 minutes then the keyboard stopped working again!! I dont know what to do im sure that it has nothing to do with the hardware .

HP Recommended

That sounds as if there is a possibility that the battery is not charging. 

There are two things left to try before contacting HP for a warranty repair. Connect the tablet to its power adapter before you do these.

1) go to an elevated command line window. Type in sfc /scannow. Press enter and let it run. That is Windows own system file checker. If there are corrupted or otherwise damaged system files, the system file checker will attempt to replace them with fresh copies from the DriverStore repository in the System32 folder. 

2) If the system file checker did not resolve the issue, then a factory image recovery needs to be performed. Save all important files to an external storage device. Your OneDrive storage in the cloud should suffice for that.  If after completion of the recovery there is no improvement, Contact HP.

See the video on the following web page for a tutorial on performing an HP system recovery.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Hardware/message-id/169605

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my Spectre X2. A while ago the keyboard simply stopped working while the touch pad and the ports worked just fine. The keyboard came back to live several times haphazardly but in the end it didn't work at all, anymore 😞

First I thought that it may only be a software problem - but that proved to be wrong. Then I thought it might be battery because there often came a strange noise from the dock, like you sometimes can hear it from a humming dimmer switch - I thought this must be the battery. Also wrong. The next guess was that the keyboard part made the trouble - but nope.

Now after I changed every part of the dock (yes, I mean literally every single part!) I know that the hinge (!) was the problem. After I switched the hinge from a fully functional dock to my own it worked again just fine - also the keyboard - and the formerly well working dock showed just the same problems I had before: The keyboard didn't work and the charging didn't work properly, but the touch pad and the ports still worked just fine.

So, as weird as it might sound, the problem was: THE HINGE!

I still don't really understand what happened. Maybe the function to reactivate the keyboard when you open up the notebook broke down or something similar... But at least I was able to locate and solve the problem - that has to be enough for now. 😉

So if you face the same problem: See if you can somehow get a hinge to change - that solved the issue for me.

HP Recommended

Hi, what did you do to the hinge as I have the same problem.

thanks

HP Recommended

@adrishi

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@Danny-R,

I too got the keyboard to work by fiddling with the hinge, but shouldnt need to do this.

adrishi

HP Recommended

I simply changed the hinge. Unfortunately it seems that there is no possibility to buy only a new hinge. So I bought a used Spectre x2 (from ebay) and then changed the broken part.

Of course this is a very expensive way to repair. Originally I wanted to change the whole dock, but it seems that there is no possibility to buy only the dock either. In the end I only changed the hinge because I didn’t find a used Spectre with the right keyboard layout (I’m used to a german layout). Surely it would be easier to simply change the whole dock if you can find a cheap used one that matches.

I’m not sure if it is possible to repair the broken hinge. I didn’t even try to open this part up, since I was not able to locate the problem correctly in the beginning and then I already had bought the used laptop – but maybe you can do better.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue!!!! Whats the resolve?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.