Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook N5R45UA#A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I am currently in a college program that requires the use of virtualization technology including Hyper-Threading.

I am in the 4th term, and this laptop has been perfectly fine for everything so far when it comes to virtual machines.

I have checked the processor specs 3 times over and the BIOS options (only one option for anything to do with virtualization.

Now I am experiencing an issue with VMware and the VMs I use, only surrounding Hyper-V.

Every time I install the Hyper-V role on a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, or even on a Windows 10 Pro VM, the VM lags to startup (more specifically with Server 2012, it will start, log in and start Server Manager but freeze and crash at that point).

I've checked with the professor and we have tried many things, I have a desktop computer on Windows 10 Pro and it handles the same machines with the Hyper-V role no problem, though that doesn't help me since the laptop is what i would need to use for practical tests.

Any help would be appreciated on how I can possibly remedy this issue with these VMs whenever Hyper-V is installed,

Why does the BIOS only have 1 virtualization setting that can be changed, while my desktop had a few particular ones?

My laptop specs most likely relevant are:

Product Number: N5R45UA
Microprocessor: 2.2gHz 5th generation Intel Core i5-5200U Dual-Core
Microprocessor Cache: 3MB L3 Cache
Memory: 16GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Video Graphics: Intel HD graphics 5500
Display: 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit display (1366x768)
Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM hard drive

All of my drivers are up to date, especially my BIOS

Thanks for any help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.