Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Every day, no matter what web site I am on, one of at least five (what ever they are) try to take over. If I see their names come up in the top line, I x them out. If I'm too late, they do take over and I cannot get rid of with the cursor, I cannot even power out. I have to press the on button , hold it and  computer closes. When I go back, the computer works very slowly for the next half hour at least. then it warms up, and is reasonly good. As an 83 yr older person, Iam, not that savvy on what to do. Any answer be as easy as you can in explaining.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Saskdan,

Good day.  Welcome to the HP support forums. I understand that you have issues where the computer freezes on websites and runs slowly. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description, of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

• Please let me know the complete model# of the computer and the operating system used?
  • Have you run complete virus scans on the computer?
  • Did this happen after a recent windows or software update? Do you remember?

For a start, we need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please run complete hardware diagnostics from this link Please run the "Running the UEFI System Tests " and please run the extensive tests. It takes 2 hours to run. Also please run the component tests. If any component fails, please make a note of the failure code.

Then please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty.

If the diagnostics pass, please try to perform run virus scans on the computer using the antivirus program installed on it.

Finally, you could also check this document by clicking here for slow performance issues and try all the prescribed steps to try and correct the situation.

If nothing works, please backup your files and perform a system recovery to factory settings from here and follow the option "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly" this should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you David for replying to my request.

I followed the Hardware Test, however repeatably pressing F2 did not bring up the test.

Any other way to get to the test.?

HP Recommended

that PC is infected with at least malware.
there are  4 + ways to cure that, easy to hard. (or bypass the infected HDD)

1: do an OS refresh,  reload the OS after backing up data. (the F11 HP HOT KEY way

)

2: run every online live antivirus engine you can , ESET is best, (google finds it) and then install malwarebytes, and scan it.

3: surgical removal 1 by 1 of each mailware agent, be it BHO's. (i can publish a Thisis here, but refuse!)

(temporary)

you have maybe Microsoft, edge, stop using edge it's infected. (presonally a void it like plugue)

MS, IE11,  activate it,  use that now. until it too is messed up.

get, install load firefox, run it until it gets infected

then load Opera,  run it until infected.

if the OS is infected, the above is useless info..  only #1 works. (do now that most virus are very hard to remove)

(prevention)

I run software that protects my browers, like maliwarebytes, and Winpatrol (Google finds them in 1sec)

this keeps the bad guys out of my browers and x10 more, 

make sure MS  defender is running and updated. (or what ever A/V you use now)

your computer is like a sponge,  and like a sponge (MS poor design) gets dirty fast.

if you use the internet it will get dirty.

so off to the car wash?  geek squad (rip) or any savvy Ham radio gay knows what to do.

and others,  get it serviced, if not savvy. about Malware.

there are other ways  to be safe

run Linux.

or run W10 as  virtual OS.

and last

you can boot to a W10 PE LIVE windows USB STICK,  and use windows..  and each boot, is clean, !

What they don't sell is Screened WEb cruising device, that runs in ROM, 100%  (PE on DVD-rom yes)

if not savvy

do what 99.9% do with cars and computers.

get it fixed.?

good luck and hope you find and easy fix.  (#1 always works if no bad hardware)

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Today April 28th when I open up this computer, there was a blue page with the info that said ,more or less "Don not shut down, adding something or other", it took approx one hour.  When i finally got on , it's like a new machine, a little bit slow, but certainly looks like no interference from the Malwares. Let's hope it's the end of this interference. If not, you'll hear from me again. Thank you for all help received.

Dan Danaher

HP Recommended

the blue only screens with no (clue who made it) is Microsoft  .  Lame yes, but a fact.

the updates can be 5min, 5 hours or in the case of dial up 5 days,

only YOU  know what ISP you use, and the bandwidth you pay for. , and not stated.

there is Dial up,  cable speed 1, to 16 and FIOS speeds. and DSL, speeds, 1 or 4?

when Microsoft just did that major update,  its like windows 11. sized.

seems you and millions of others (and me) all just got that.

windows 10 you can not block updates, only delay them to a 24hr windows,

click settings.

click update and security

as far as browser take overs, you'd have to photos of that happening,  I run java blocker on mine so  get very little of the annoiances from web sites.

i get my updates when first tuned on,  never off.

by my choices, in settings,

HP Recommended

one more bad thing from MS.

Microsoft.

they now do updates, if you are not moving the mouse or typing

if it see you going nothing for too long  bam.

this is crazy, bad,  horrible.

but can be turned off, and i have done this.

but will blue screens with the magic words, dont turn off , in blue.

other slowness is , infections.

never seen  PC not infected, most PCs come to any shop full of malware.

its expected.

and grows, until the pC is not usable.

Since windows 1 to 10,  same. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.