cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lost11
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

I got a email with a link for a recovery for my laptop how do i get it from one laptop to the other

HP Recommended
Hp 15au018wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I got a email with a link from hp for recovery how do I get it from one laptop to the other I downloaded it and tried to put it on a usb but it doesn't come up on the laptop I'm trying to recover
1 REPLY 1
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,697 830 1,560
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lost11

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 15-au018wm laptop and have received a link from HP to download the recovery software.Why are  You have downloaded it and put it on a USB flash drive. But it does not come up on the laptop that you're trying to recover.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• What is the root cause for which lead you to perform a recovery on your laptop?
  • Have you tried to perform a recovery using the recovery partition on the laptop (Hit f11 key repeatedly during startup to launch recovery)?
  • Do you receive an error message when initiating the recovery using the USB drive?

Meanwhile, I did some research and suggest you to perform the following steps:

• Down the recovery directly to USB and not to the computer.

NOTE: If you select to create the recovery media in a USB flash drive, the USB flash drive must be able to hold more than the minimum amount of data displayed on the screen; not all the capacity in a USB drive is usable. Example: If the minimum amount of data required shows 16 GB, use an 18 GB drive for better results. If the size of the USB drive is larger than 32 GB, the extra size on the flash drive might not be usable after the recovery media is created. Please be aware that all data on the selected USB flash drive will be lost after the recovery media is created.

• Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.  Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord

• Insert the recovery media (USB Drive, CD/DVD) and then turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the f9 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

• Use the up or down arrow key to select the USB drive, and then press Enter.

Figure : Example of Notebook boot option menu

Notebook boot option menu

NOTE: More than one USB drive selection might be available from the list of bootable devices. If so, select one of the USB drive from the list to see if HP Recovery starts. If recovery does not start or a non-system disk error is displayed, restart the computer by pressing the power button, and then repeat these steps to select another USB drive. When recovery starts, continue using the steps to complete recovery.

If you cannot select the recovery media drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Mode in the BIOS. For detailed instructions, see the Disabling Secure Boot in Windows 10 in this document.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation