cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Conoraa
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I restored my Windows 10 laptop to factory settings with the HP recovery manager. Now it's Windows 8

Pavilion 15-af067sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was having issues wih an external monitor, as it kept flickering on and off, so I went to update my AMD drivers. However, when I was installing it, the  screens went black and my laptop crashed.  After waiting for around half an hour I ended up just turning the laptop off and then back on. The laptop then wouldn't boot. It went throgh the screen saying HP and then just a circular loaing screen. I tried many different solutons to this but none of them worked. I ended up having to reset my laptop through HP recovery manager by pressing F11 while the laptop was turning on. The reset worked and my laptop is now working, although it is now on Windows 8, even though it was previously on Windows 10. I am unsure why this is, and want to get my Windows 10 back. I hope that you can help.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
41,622 41,407 6,554 11,403
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I restored my Windows 10 laptop to factory settings with the HP recovery manager. Now it's Windows 8

Had you previously upgraded to Windows 10? If the laptop was ever running activated Windows 10 all you have to do is upgrade again. Use the Media Creation tool from mIcrosoft. 

0 Kudos
Conoraa
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've downloaded the media tool and am in the process of downloading Windows 10 again now. I will follow up with whether this works or not.

Thanks a lot,

0 Kudos
Conoraa
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay. I've managed to install Windows 10 successfully, although I can not log on. On the login screen I can type in my credentials and when I press enter, the screen goes black as if I am logging on, then it puts me back to the start of the login screen. I have tried turning the computer on and off, but nothing seems to be working. I really hope you can help now.

Thanks,

Conor

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
41,622 41,407 6,554 11,403
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have no idea. Did you make a Windows 10 install disk or thumb drive from the Media Creation Tool? I think you need to do a clean install of Windows 10. Something is obviously corrupted in the prior installation. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation