Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 4 (7,341 Views)

I unistalled roxio backontrack from my hp mini, thinking I didn't need it, and now it won't start.

I have a HP mini 110. I've had it for a couple of years and it started saying that I didn't have enough disk space, so I went to the Add/Remove programs and started deleting stuff I had downloaded and didn't need (not important things, just stuff like games). Then I came across Roxio Backontrack. It was taking up a lot of room and it said that I rarely used it and the last time I had used it was in 2009 (three years ago), so I googled it and people on the interenet said I didn't need it. So I unistalled it. My computer had to restart, and when starting it again, it wouldn't boot (or start, whatever). It would show the screen where it asked if i wanted to start normally, go through safe mode, or start at the last good configuration. Well, I tried the first two and it would show a whole bunch of white numbers on a black screen, it just sat there forever, I couldn;t click or anything. Then I restarted, clicked on 'last good configuration' and it started loading windows, but stopped and just had a black screen and sat there (it was a black screen that was lit, so it wasn't off, it was just black with no mouse and no movement). It didn't even get to the screen where I typed in my password to open my account. I also tried pushing the f2 and f12 and that didn't do anything either.

So, my question is: What happened to it and what do I do?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 4 (7,337 Views)

Re: I unistalled roxio backontrack from my hp mini, thinking I didn't need it, and now it won't star

The description seems to be a software corruption or Operating system corruption. How ever the possibility of a hardware failure cannot be ruled out. To help you better, i would suggest you to run diagnostics which can be initiated by pressing F2 during the power on boot up sequence. The result of this diagnostics test will let you know if you need to change any hardware component or just to recover the computer by reinstalling the OS by pressing the F11 in the same fashion as you initiated the test. Doing recovery will wipe out the harddrive and all data stored in it and restores the computer back to factory settings will all that unwanted software you found earlier.

Potent
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I am employed by HP
Highlighted
Student
Message 3 of 4 (7,262 Views)

Re: I unistalled roxio backontrack from my hp mini, thinking I didn't need it, and now it won't star

[ Edited ]

I have encountered the same exact problem! I have tried EVERYTHING, including what potent has suggested.

It won't let me do anything. How do I do a factory reset when I can't access any funtions of the HD? When I was searching the internet for answers, it seems many HP Mini 110 owners have encountered the same situation. So I would have to say that it has SOMETHING to do with the Roxio Backontrack???? We can't all have a virus that's causing us all to have the same exact issues, can we?? Unless it has come in something that 's already pre-installed?? Has there been a resolution to this?

I know for a fact that there hasn't been anything downloaded to either of the ones that I purchased, other than Norton 360 internet security.

I bought 2 of these for my grandchildren for Christmas & I gotta say, they have been nothing but trouble from the get go & I really feel that my money was wasted on them. The only thing they have done with them is play games on Nick Jr. & PBS Kids & occasionally watch monster trucks on youtube. They don't get much chance to use them, because EVERY time they turn them on to use them, there's SOME kind of issue with them.

PLEASE help with this issue so that the money spent on this one isn't a TOTAL loss!!

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (6,704 Views)

Has anyone found a solution that works????
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation