Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'm repeatedly getting a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

I've read lots of information on the internet about how various people have solved that problem on their machines.  Problem is, none of the solutions I have found will work for me.  That's because my machine basically won't allow me to do anything before the IRQL hits.  I can boot up but then I can't get to Control Panel, Event Manager, or anything.  As soon as I try to launch Control Manager, for example, that triggers the IRQL error.  I can't even get an internet connection.  So all these various solutions that everyone suggests just won't work in my case.

H-E-L-P-MePleas

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Thanks for the post and Welcome to HP Forums

I can understand that you are having error messages as (IRQL)

IRQL means to Interrupt Request Level

Windows prioritizes interrupts that come from the system's processors

Your processor is interrupting your actions in the pc also

My advice is to go to BIOS and Perform BIOS defaults

If still same issue – then there is a Problem with the RAM – try Reseating the RAM or Replace

If still the same problem Contact Hp support

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Hope this helped.

I am an HP Employee

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  However, I don't know how to reset the BIOS defaults.  And I don't know how to reseat the RAM.  Can you please provide me with instruations on how to do those two things.  I'm not a computer novice by any means but I'm also not a guru.  So I just need a little more detailed instructions.  Also, on this machine I don't know how to interrupt the boot sequence to get to the BIOS screen.  So if you could provide that also it would be helpful.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @kc84095,

Please follow the below steps :

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.
  3. Press the f9 key to reset the BIOS to the default settings.
  4. Press the f10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS settings menu.
 NOTE:
BIOS configurations vary depending on the computer. For further information on a specific computer, view the documentation provided with the computer. The BIOS settings are generally found in the Maintenance and Service Guide.

Manuals : 

Maintenance and Service Guide

#HPExpertDay

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

HP Recommended

Here's the relevant text from the Maintenance and Service guide for my machine:

To start Setup Utility, follow these steps:

1. Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

2. Press f10 to enter Setup Utility.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But my machine doesn't display a “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message upon boot-up.  I nevertheless pressed the Esc key repeatedly during the boot process.  But that did nothing.

So I re-booted and pressed the F10 key epeatedly during the boot process.  That also did nothing.

What else can I try?  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.