Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY 13-ab016nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Apologies for asking about this again, but I'm not 100% clear on it, especially since so many different terms are used to describe it (Image, Clone, Refresh, Repair, Reset, Reinstall, etc.).  Thus, let me ask about a specific scenario.

I've spent 2-days getting my new notebook set up and customized... removing bloatware, installing updates, installing software, creating shortcuts, and customizing settings like Restore, Defender, File Extensions, etc.

There WILL come a point in time at which I will want to "clean everything off and start all over."  However, when this time comes, I DO NOT want to start all over from the "factory state."  I DO want to start all over from the CURRENT state (bloatware gone, software installed, settings customized, etc.).

In Backup and Restore, two tasks are displayed.  They are (1) Create a System Image, and (2) Create a System Repair Disc.

In order to be able to "start all over from the CURRENT state," which one of these tasks do I need to perform?  Or, do I need to perform both tasks?

The C: drive has 168 GB free of 227 GB.  The 😧 drive has 1.27 GB free of 10.1 GB.

If I need to perform task #1 (Create a system image), do I need a USB stick drive that will hold at least 59 GB (227-168=59)?

If I want to perform task #2 (Create a system repair disc), do I need a USB stick drive that will hold at least 9 GB (10.1-1.27=8.83)?

If the notebook completely fails to the point at which it WILL NOT boot up, can it be booted up from the System Image ALONE?  Or, to get it to boot up, will I need the System Image AND the Repair Disc?

Can I use USB stick drives; one for the System Image and another one for the Repair Disc?  I want to be able to boot up from these.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

I normally use clone software and actually clone my production laptops at least once a quarter, it your case Create a system image is the right process. You need a least the same size with C: for USB drive.

HP Backup and Recovery Manager allows you to create one set of recovery media for Factory settings. In your case you only need CURRENT state therefore you may not need it but my suggestion just make one and keep in a safe place, who know you may need it one day. 16GB will do (nothing between 8 and 16). Note: must be on a separate USB drive.

Total 2 USB sticks.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You will need both a System Image and a System Repair disc to boot from. I don't believe this particular tool offers ability to create the boot disc on usb.

I have been very pleased with Macrium Reflect -even the FREE version can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

1-Install Macrium Reflect
2- Run Macrium and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write an image to external USB hard drive or USB stick. MR compresses files but I would choose a usb stick of at least 64gb.
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

When installing Macrium there an option to add a Recovery Boot Menu entry which allows you then to boot into WinRE without the boot flash drive. You can then use that to do a restore -but the caveat here is if the hard drive fails completely & has to be replaced you lose that capability. Many people also don't like that extra entry added to boot menu so my recomendation is to skip that option and create the bootable flash drive. Or even if you choose to add the entry to Boot Menu, create the bootable flash drive.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks... very helpful... I think I'm close to fully understanding what to do!

I understand the part about the laptop tool NOT being able to create a bootable USB stick drive.  Therefore, when I use Macrium Reflect, I need to select the option to "create a bootable USB stick drive."

However, I'm unclear about the steps in the process.  You say that I need BOTH a System Image AND a System Repair Disc to boot from.  When I use Macrium Reflect, will it create 1 or 2 USB stick drives?  I.e., will Macrium Reflect put BOTH the System Image AND the System Repair Disc onto 1 USB stick drive?  Or, will Macrium Reflect create 2 USB stick drives... one for the System Image, and another for the System Repair Disc? 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

At one time some years ago when I first started using Macrium I believe the Image could be made bootable. Not sure if that option still exists with all of the advances in OS's and files systems. I never tested it even then because I use an external USB HDD to hold my system images done at different stages, For instance I might image the hdd when the machine is fairly new, then later after several purchased programs are installed or the OS is upgraded I might wish to make a new image. With my bootable disc I can boot with it and choose which image to restore-factory fresh or the later image.

The usb flash for the bootable disc should't require more than a 2-4gb stick (are those still even available). Mine is on a cd so doesn't require much space.

HP Recommended

Macrium has a knowledge base and a forum which was quite helpful to me when I first started using it. You might browse through one or both for tips.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Macrium+Reflect+KnowledgeBase

http://forum.macrium.com/Default.aspx

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.