Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15-g212nl
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, my laptop started mulfunctioning and I found out it was the hard disk with physical problems (pending sectors).

I cloned the 1T hard disk to a new 1T hard disk.

I cloned it by ddrescue (block level utility you can find systemrescuecd and othe linux os).

The clone successed but windows was not able to start.

Recovery console was working so I resotred windows (system and user files were deleted).

Windows is now working fine! But it's not activated and updates are failing.

Windows activation should be working automatically but it doesn't.

I tried to contact Microsoft to activare windows but they need the Windows Serial Numner that is unavailable!

What can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try using a program such as showkeyplus to see the keys of your system, which will help when in contact with Microsoft:

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

Try getting in contact with Microsoft through chat. At first it will be virtual agent. However after answering a few questions you will be able to chat with live person who will be able to help with your activation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I told Microsoft about the keys shown by showkeyplus but they say that if the serial number is missing the installation is compromized and they can't do anything.

They suggested to reinstall windows downloding the iso and using the product key I got from showkeyplus.

If I reinstall by dvd/usb, is there any problem if I remove all partitions (also uefi)?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can perform a clean install (downloading windows 8.1 from Microsoft) and delete all partitions. You might need to disable secure boot in Bios and enable legacy boot. I like doing clean installs of operating system and delete all partitions, even recovery partition as I can create them myself by creating an image of the freshly installed OS with all drivers and software I choose. This image I keep for any future problems.

So, yes you can delete all partitions and install in unalocated space. You might not even need product key because the digital key should be in firmware of Bios and should automatically activate Windows.

Let me know how it works out and if you need any help,

David

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.