cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
quenieb
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

I know Im an idiot, but I just can't figure out how to use the insert key. Do I need to press another key at the same time and which one....It would make my day to figure this out.

9 REPLIES 9
Level 19
Level 19
78,766 78,665 9,693 20,961
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

Hi,

Are you talking about this ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insert_key

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
nameoftherose
5 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

after, like two years, i finally got it working! it only seems to work on the notepad or docs but i'll take it.

but it was a little unclear; (oh it works in the calendar too)

in a document, the office button (for idiots like me) is the circle with the red, blue, yellow, greeen squares in the corner.

click on that or you can press ALT+f to open that, then 'i' to open Word Options, then 'a' for Advanced settings, then ALT+ v for Overtype mode, then space bar to have overtype be controlled by the INSERT button. 

after that, it should be as easy as hitting the INSERT button to get it to insert.

0 Kudos
loudwaters
2 2 0 1
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

Wrong answer, dude. That "insert key" on the keyboard pic is ancient technology that hasn't been on an HP keyboard for years.

0 Kudos
loudwaters
2 2 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

On an HP, click [shift][0] simultaneously

koam
Level 3
22 21 0 13
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

I was able to remap the "PRT SC" key to the "INS" function on my new HP Pavilion 17-inch laptopl

I used the freeware program called KEYTWEAK.

It was very simple.

Now when I press PRT SC it is the INS key.  When I press SHIFT + PRT SC it is the PASTE fucntion in WINDOWS.

CTRL + PRT SC is now the COPY function in Windows (I am using Windows 8.1).

This  is a repeated issue for users of HP computers.    Windows has always had Copy (CTRL + INS) and Paste (SHIFT + INS) and Cut (SHIFT + DEL).  HP decided some time ago that having a naked INS key was not important.   This is not convenient or intuitive to people who have used the same keyboard shortcuts in Windows,  Office, and most other Windows applications for decades. It is an HP issue.  A simple INS key IS a standard part of a PC keyboard.  HP decided to hide that function as a combo.  There is also an INS on the keybad 0 key but users who keep Num Lock on cannot use that easily either.  Forutnately you can easily reporgram the keyboard to make up for HP's error.

Next step is to use AutoHotKey to add the PRT SC function back to a keyboard combo.

FelimDoyle
Level 1
2 2 0 3
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

Re: "On an HP, click [shift][0] simultaneously"

BTW, that's [0] on the numeric keypad.

However, how do you do Shift+Insert?

It can be achieved on my HP Series 15 by using Fn+Ins (PrtSc) but it makes Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert more difficult.

Toggling Num Lock then using Ins on the numeric keypad will achieve the same result but this is inconvenient and my HP keyboard doesn't have a Num Lock light!

It's non-standard and HP should be aware that it's a problem for experienced users who use keyboard shortcuts a lot and so they should rectify it!

dereknliza
Level 1
7 5 0 3
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

yes we are wondering why the insert key refuses to work in word 2010 on HP products.

Only way ito get this to work is to remap the keyboard. ridiculous

Come on HP fix this silly bug.

Kreisler
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

I believe you have to hold either the "ctrl" or "fn" key then pres the insert key to activat it.

0 Kudos
dereknliza
Level 1
7 5 0 3
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Insert Key

Nope it does not work. See post by loam 5 posts earlier

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation