Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 240 G5 Notebok PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed a new HP 240 G5 Notebook PC with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD and installed retail Windows 10 pro.

I found out that I cannot expand memory to 8GB with modules from third party. I have to buy a module from HP and have it installed by HP technitian. Otherwise my warranty will be void.

Similarly I cannot migrate my old SSD to this new computer without voiding warranty.

All these years we were doing the upgrades ourselves. HP seems to have changed the policy for definition of customer repalceable parts for this model. 

What is being done to mitigate this situation by other community members? 

I am a computer professional. I started my carrer in IBM in 1960. Currently retired living in Pune, India

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is not a situation. We have it on good authority you can upgrade your memory and install an SSD without losing your warranty as long as no damage is done in the process. Not sure who told you otherwise.

And we are here ready to help with the procedure if you wish. 

HP Recommended

I asked this question to HP support on Chat. Here is the transcript of the (relevant portion) chat 

++++++++++++++++

[Friday, April 14, 2017 2:53 PM] -- Arvind Kelkar says:

I have just purchased my machine with 4GB of memory. I would like to expand it to 8GB and install a SD. I have downloaded the maintenance manual and understood the procedure for installing additional 4GB memory and SSD.

I have a lot of experience in installing additional memory and hard disk for HP, Lenovo, Dell etc. laptops over a long period of time.

I would like to know if I can go ahead with this by following the procedure in the manual.

I am asking for this clarification since this computer manual does not mention it as customer replacement parts.

[Friday, April 14, 2017 2:55 PM] -- Anowarus S says:

We never recommend any customer to replace part of the system, if anyone go ahead and replace the part of the system the warranty voids. We strongly recommend to change the part by the help of HP technician.

+ +

[Friday, April 14, 2017 2:58 PM] -- Anowarus S says:

Yes, if you want to replace or extend any part we send the quotation and after you accept the quotation the technician will visit and do the needful.

[Friday, April 14, 2017 2:58 PM] -- Arvind Kelkar says:

Ok. I have to buy the parts from HP?

[Friday, April 14, 2017 2:59 PM] -- Anowarus S says:

Yes.

++++

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I really don't want to get into an intramural squabble here. The HP chat reps are forced to take the most conservative view. We can escalate and let HP know that is what they were saying. I don't want to be smug and a know it all but there would actually be legal type problems for HP to say only parts purchased from it can be installed. Auto manufacturers, for example, cannot say you can only install "their" oil filters. 

I do not actually work for HP but have been hanging around here for over 15 years. We get this question all the time. 

HP Recommended

I think this is more a technology related question.

The memory and HDD were always specified as customer replaceable parts in earlier generation machines. In these machines parts of the bottom cover opened and exposed only a limited part of the machine. HP in fact gave detailed instructions on how to replace memory and HDD.

The new generation machines have a unibody bottom cover which requires lots of screws and DVD drive to be removed before you can access memory and HDD. I think HP is just being cautious and preventing lots of support calls from improper work done by users. 

I know one can do it without damaging machine. To Do or Not to Do has to be decided by each individual !!!

Welcome to the modern world, 

Cheers !

HP Recommended

You are preaching to the choir. I am well aware of the physical changes to laptops in recent models and the implications. 

Bottom line we Experts are in touch with HP and have been assured that despite the non-customer accessible designation, the upgrade, if done properly, will not void the warranty. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.