cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gtalleycm
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

I what to purchase Netgear's Push 2 TV and utilize WIDI on my HP Pavilion Dv8t, Windows 7, Intel i7 Q 720. What is required to accomodate use of Intel's wireless display technology? Do I have to purchase a new laptop? Thanks

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
btholm
2 1 0 1
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

According to Intel there are 3 hardware requirements to first be met; 1) an i5 or i7 processor 2) Intel HD Graphics and 3) one of several Intel wireless PCI cards.  According to HP Tech Support, if Intel were to provide drivers for the HP supplied PCI-e wireless card (mine is an Atheros AR9285) or other other wireless cards that HP uses the Netgear PVT1000 and Push To TV feature would work.  The issue is Intel does not provide support drivers for wireless PCI cards other than its' Intel wireless cards and HP does not and will not provide Intel wireless cards for laptops. 

In summary if you want the wireless feature one must have a Dell or other laptop.  As of this writing there are no compatible replacements for the Atheros PCI-e b/g/n wireless card, particularly none that are Intel.  Even though others cards will fit into the actual slot, the bios software responses during boot will prevent acknowledgement of the presence of a wireless card (sometimes referred to as "white-listed").   Basically the answer is yes - you will have to purchase a new laptop that is supported by Intel MWT so make sure it is not HP and sports the logo for wireless display.

Level 9
Level 9
2,317 2,315 176 722
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

There are 4 Essential Components for WiDi to work...

1. Intel's i Series Processor (For Better Performance as it Compresses data before transmitting)
  2. New Intel 6200/6300 AGN Wireless Card
  3. Intel My Wifi Software which creates a Personal Area Connection
  4. WiDi TV adapter (Which You Already Have)

Here is link, that has all the stuff around this...http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/wireless-display

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
jakreid
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

How do i find out if my pavilion dv6t has the intel widi software installed and if not, can I install it?

0 Kudos
Brcanuck
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

I have recently purchased a DV6-3077ca

can you confirm if this supports Intel® Wireless Display ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 2 AndersonMel
Level 2
18 18 0 1
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

This post is incorrect. HP very much supports Intel graphics on their notebooks, Intel WiDi, Intel My WiFi and also sells the adapters (and Televisions too!) - everything you need to stream the content of your notebook to a TV. You can also look up HP Wireless TV Connect which allows you to stream from your notebook to the TV without Intel WiDi but it does require an adapter on each end - the notebook and the TV where with My WiDi you only need the adapter on one end or a WiFi enabled TV. Check out the HP ENVY 17 for an example of a current notebook with this feature. But HP has been supporting it for a while. Not sure why this person posted the information about only Dell supporting the feature. HP and other manfacturers support it and have been supporting it.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
devakinandan
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

i have purchased hp envy dv6 7206tx win 8 64 bit does it have compatible intel widi wireless drivers hw can i use it

0 Kudos
Level 2 AndersonMel
Level 2
18 18 0 1
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

Notebooks with the i5 or i7 processors series (SandyBridge) and the Intel Wireless card should have Wireless Display (WiDi) already on the computer. I'm not sure why the previous poster singled out HP as not supporting this feature, because it's an Intel feature not specific to HP or any particular computer manufacturer.

If you do not have WiDi installed, you may not have the Intel Wireless card. If you do have the Intel Wireless card and not the WiDi program and do meet the other requirements as well, you can download the WiDi application as part of the Intel MyWifi application.  You may want to do this anyway to get the latest version of WiDi.

Check out the Intel website for more information - http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-032437.htm?wapkw=widi

You may find that you do not have a wireless-capable TV, however. If you don't,  this is where you do need the Netgear Push2TV  which you indicated that you do have.  I didn't check the specifics on the DV8t, but make sure that if you have switchable graphics, that you switch to Intel integrated graphics before you launch WiDi.

I work on behalf of HP
spdee
3 2 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

My computer is a pavilion g6-1d73us Notebook with Intel i3, running Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

I went through the Intel system id process. It says yes, I have Wireless Display with Intel HD Graphics 3000. The Intel site said I should check the manufacturer for the widi program in case HP personalized it or something. I'm not real computer savvy, but is there an HP widi update? Would the Intel wireless drivers & Intel PROSet update (sp57090.exe) be the thing?

We got the Netgear Push2tv and I'm dying to use it. Any input?

Thanks.......

0 Kudos
Level 2 AndersonMel
Level 2
18 18 0 1
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless Display

Hi there.

Can you describe the problem you are having?

HP didn't personalize the WiDi. You should be able to connect using the Intel My WiFi program. Depending on when you got the notebook, you may not have the Intel My WiFi program resident. From the Windows 7 Start menu - enter Intel, or My Wifi . If not, go to the Intel website and download it.

• There are some known issues where Windows update cancelled the driver for the Intel wireless which also affects the WiDi. So you may need to go to Device manager and be sure the driver is enabled.

• Also, your firewall may be preventing the connections

• Another consideration: Most TVs do not support the wireless connection - it's relatively new to TVs, so you may need to plug the Netgear adapter into the TV and then search for it on you notebook through the Intel WiDi. If it is a brand-new TV, check that specifically supports Intel WiDi (it will say so on the box) Review the manufacturer’s instructions for enabling the TVs Wi-Fi and connection settings.

With a little more information, we should be able to point you to some known issues and fixes.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation