Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Intel wireless ProSet update to 18.40.0.9 breaks wifi

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-ab289sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upgrading Intel wireless driver on Intel AC-3165 to 18.40.0.9 causes wifi to fail and cannot find any access points within range. The upgrade adds a 'new' device to device manager called 'Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter'. This new device has a yellow exclamation next to it. Uninstalling the new device does not resolve the issue. Only rolling back the driver to 18.33.0.1 or 18.32.1.2 recovers wifi connectivity. Can someone please explain how to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Update: I just realised that the wi-fi direct adapter is normally a hidden device, somehow the new update breaks it and it then shows up. My wifi is disabled when this happens 😞

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @degsie,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see from your posts that you are having an issue with your HP 15-ab289sa Notebook and Wireless connecting issues. Here is an excellent starting point.

I would uninstall all that is listed in the Network adapter section and restart the Notebook.

Please get back to me how this goes.

You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunatly deleting all the network devices and restarting did not resolve the issue. When I restarted the netbook the latest wireless drivers were installed (18.4.0) but the original problem was still there. I tried the troubleshooting guide to no avail.

When in error state the wifi is turned off in settings, when I attempt to turn wifi on the slider moves to the right and I get the 'circle of dots' for a few moments but then wifi shuts off again.

I am once again back to an older driver which works ok (18.33.0.1).

I would like confirmation, if possible, that the latest intel ProSet driver should work on my netbook. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @degsie,

The driver that is recommended for your system is labeled 18.814.2015 Updated Jun 22 from the HP driver page.

Intel wireless ProSet update to 18.40.0.9, I am not aware of this download and where you are getting it from as it is not listed in updates for the Notebook from HP.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a matter of fact when I look for drivers from HP having used the auto 'identify now' option I am taken to:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-ab200-notebook-pc-series/8499306/mode...

Which clearly states that the current driver is 18.40.0.9 Rev.P (sp75240.exe)

This is the driver causing an issue for me!

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but it clearly differs from mine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @degsie,

Yes as you should be installing the Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Install a Realtek driver on an Intel interface, really?

Maybe you missed it on the first post but my netbook has an Intel AC-3165 WLAN interface.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,203
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @degsie,

Please give us a call. http://ow.ly/Xa6p5 They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation