cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Andonbray
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Internet Randomly Stops Working on HP Pavilion g6

HP Recommended

My laptop is still under warranty, but before I call hp, I was wondering if someone could help me. It's a Pavilion g6 1d84nr with w7. I've tried everything I could think of in my limited knowledge of hp computers.

Randomly without any noticeable  similarity (e.g. time, site, program), my wifi just stops working. The orange triangle never shows up (the laptop seems to think I have internet).  The problem is consistent in all browsers, and as the web page (or game) tries to load, it tries indefinitely for a connection, but it too thinks there is internet and it never gives me an error. However, whenever I restart my computer, it starts working again.

As an "apprentice" web develeper and graphic designer, this is rather annoying. Any advice would be welcome!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
127,871 118,049 19,201 29,346
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model wireless card do you have in the notebook?

If you don't know, you will find it listed under the network adapters section in the device manager.

Perhaps there is an updated driver that will help.

0 Kudos
Andonbray
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here:

Realtek RTL8188CE802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That card has issues.

I'll give you the link to the latest driver for it, but that may not solve the issue.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Here is what should solve the issue, but it will drop your connection speed to 54 MBPS, however you won't have any more dropped connections.

Go back to the device manager and click on the realtek wireless card you found under network adapters.

There will be an advanced tab.

Click on that.

Then there will be several settings you can change.

You should change the wireless mode from b/g/n, to b/g and close out.

Now your internet connection should be stable.

0 Kudos
Andonbray
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just installed the new driver. I'll let you know by tomorrow if it works.

If I need to go to plan b, can I send it to hp to get it fixed without lowering speed to 54 MBPS?

Also, do you know what my current speed is to put the drop in proportion? 

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can call HP and send your notebook in for repairs but I doubt they can do anything unless they replaced the card with another model card supported in your notebook, and I don't know if they will do that.

Most likely they may either tell you they can't duplicate the problem and return your notebook as is or they may replace the card with the same model which invariably will give you the same issue.

However, that is just my opinion and since I don't work for HP, that you will have to work through on your own.

What are we talking about in regard to the actual impact of changing the setting?

If your router is set to mixed mode (b/g/ and n devices can connect), then I believe the max throughput for that card is probably 72 MBPS.  If your router is set to n only the max throughput may be 144 MBPS.

However you can easily check your current connection speed by opening the network and sharing center, click on your connection and it will show you the speed it is connected at.

0 Kudos
Andonbray
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried both suggestions, and neither works.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I didn't think the driver update would work, but you are the first person who has reported that changing the mode to b/g also didn't make a difference.

Unfortunately, there is nothing further I can do to assist you.

Please take the matter up with HP technical support since your notebook is still under warranty.

I hope they can resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation