cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bmoemidc1
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there anyway to get info back after a reset in win 8?

HP Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I use a HP Pavilion laptop.  I was having a few issues with a couple of programs not working ccorrectly.  After reviewing my options , it gave me 2 choices.  A factory reset which wipes all personal info off the machine or according to the discription a win software reset which is supposed to allow you to keep all your personal info including photo's, doccuments, music.  Since it wasn't supposed to remove personal files I decided to use the reset (not factory reset).  When it was done most of my info was still there (photo's, documents music).  However it wiped out my financial info and also my personall contacts and emails and mmy email program (Outlook 2007) iit removed Office.  My question is, is there any way of getting that info back, especially my saved emails and ccontact info?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
23,612 23,394 2,024 7,382
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there anyway to get info back after a reset in win 8?

@bmoemidc1

I am sorry this happened to you.

If you had been running File History, you would have backups of those data in your account and / or within other Library locations.  (File History uses Libraries to determine folder backup criteria.)

Likely, though, if you were making backups - File History or otherwise -- you would likely be aware of the fact because backups are not automatic until you set up the parameters (destination folder).

Without having made any backups of the data, you cannot get it back once it is removed.

Exception:  If the reset procedure created a Windows.old folder (in your C Drive) or if the procedure created a "Windows.removed" (wording widely varies) shortcut on your Desktop, then some of the data may be located in one of those locations.

I cannot comment on Outlook 2007 - the original email files are perhaps still on the original Outlook server.  You might contact Microsoft and ask about whether retrieval is an option.

It is normal that installed programs are removed during a Reset or Refresh of the system.

For later:

Windows Features - Quick Tour

Section:

• Windows File History Backups 

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation