cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
niekdejong Tutor
Tutor
4 3 1 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Keyboard replacement DV6 1230ED.

Hi all.

recently I've gained a DV6 1230ED laptop from a girlfriend. the laptop had fallen on the ground, and the hinges where broken. Bought 2 new hinges to fix the broken screen. Now i was wondering ( since i had taken it fully apart ). is it possible to put an illuminated keyboard in it?

i know the motherboard has the capable connections on it for the illuminated thingy, but i just don't know the SN for the illuminated one. maybe anyone around here have a DV6 12xx series with illuminated keyboard and wouldn't mind tell me the serial number :).

also, I'm having a spare vertex3 around here, wich i would like to use in combination with an 2nd HDD drive caddy. anyone know wich one i should take, without an ugly faceplate? went through Ebay, and they only got ugly looking black ones, and not a neat dvd-ROM like cover like it has now.

(sorry for my bad english, it's not my foreign language).

Gr niek.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,563 2,518 199 757
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you sure the motherboard has option for a backlit keyboard because I dont think it supports it. I feel you must be confused because Quick launch buttons(wireless, volume buttons etc) just above the keyboard supports illumination using an LED board.

Kindly refer service manual(Page#23)  which answers all your questions

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
niekdejong Tutor
Tutor
4 3 1 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm definitly sure it will support illuminated keyboard. The mainboard has a *not used*  connector for it. it says something like 'illumi Keyb' or something. Doesn't have the laptop right here at the moment, my mom borrowed it, she's on vacation. so.

I'll doublecheck it when she gets home.

0 Kudos
niekdejong Tutor
Tutor
4 3 1 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all, 

Got the laptop returned by my mom. Took it apart to make a pic for you guys. attached to this post there are a few photo's wich indicates, my mainboard got the needed slot for powering the leds in the keyboard .

As you could see, there is a "KB LIGHT" slot. wich obviously stands for keyboard light. Now i've done my research, and these models use backlit keyboards

- DV6 3250US

- DV6 3150US

Plus the HDX series also uses backlit keyboards.. but they are silver, wich i don't like tbh. Can somebody help me out overhere? 

Gr niek.

0 Kudos
deadzoo Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I`m wondering why  HP employee`s are avoiding this topic. Let me add that the  DV6-2xxx series machines have the 4-pin zif connector on the motherboard  and beside it are the letters: "BL KB" What do you think this stands for backlit keyboard? I do!

0 Kudos
deadzoo Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These keyboards can be eliminated from the list of possibles:

DV7-6xxx P/N 639396-001
DV6-7xxx P/N 698951-001 
DV6T-4xxx P/N 597630-001
DV6-3xxx P/N 606747-B31

The DV6-1xxx/2xxx keyboards have a 26-pin ribbon/cable, the keyboards listed above have 30+ pins, like 33 or 35 I forget which, but definitely more than 26. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation