cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SNAIR
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

LAPTOP COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ40 SHUTS DOWN IMMEDIATELYLY ON POWER ON

HP Recommended

My Compaq Presario CQ40 is 6 yrs old suddenly one evening this peculiar problem occured.Power on led remains for 3 secs and then switches off.Ethernet port leds also glow and then then switches off . Kindly advise what went wrong with my laptop. Battery checked and is ok.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
anthony82
Level 9
2,800 2,766 181 740
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello snair,

I understand that your laptop will not power on.

Have you checked that ac adapter?

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

0 Kudos
Jo315
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello anthony82,

I am having the similar problem with my Compaq Presario CQ40. I have already performed the hard reset but the same problem still occurs, it would restart after turning off though..but after 3 seconds it would turn off again.

Could it be a hardware failure?

Looking forward for your reply, thanks!

0 Kudos
SuperMario1
Retired
Retired
5,085 6,034 326 1,048
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jo315. Do you notice if the computer overheats before it shuts down randomly? While you respond to this question, please review this Microsoft forum, as it does contain relevant troubleshooting that could resolve the issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/my-computer-shuts-down-unexpecte...

Please respond as soon as possible, and I will be able to assist you further. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation