cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CN17
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Laptop Windows 8.1 fails to connect for updates for MS stuff

HP Recommended

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j078ca Notebook

Windows 8.1, 64-bit

I don't recall changing anything before this happened.

First symptom, Windows Defender would not download any updates. It looks like it is trying, but never does. On rare occassions, it reports no internet connection, despite browser and email having no issue getting online. I can download updates in a browser, and run it, and Win Defender will report the latest updates.

Next thing I found, I tried to go to the MS Store (to see about the Win 8.1 "update 1") via the "Metro tile" (usually do not use anything Metro). It sits there with dots spiraling around as if connecting, but nothing ever happens (it used to work, laptop came with Win8, and used the MS Store to get 8.1 a few months ago).

Tried going to "Windows Update" through the "Control Panel" and that freezes that Window and it cannot be closed except by rebooting.

Then tried to play "Age of Empires II HD" through Steam, and it attempts to download "MS VC Redist", and it sits there forever pretending to be trying to download it, but never does.

All seem related, as they all pertain to connecting to MS.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DerekQ
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 111
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Go to MS's website and search for FIxit: Windows update reset and troubleshoot.

More then happen to help.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
0 Kudos
CN17
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I get "We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time."

I even used MS IE.

I don't know if it is related, but I forgot to mention that when I boot up, I get a notification saying:

"Failed to connect to a Windows service.

Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. This problem prevents standard users from signing in.

As an administrative user, you can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't respond."

There is is little wrench icon in the notification, but it doesn't take me to anything that appears meaningful to me.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation