Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KenRhodes Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop automatically restored factory state

Unknown
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My wife has told me that she started her laptop the other day and was greeted by a BSOD, and then it restarted telling her it was "reinstalling." When I checked the computer, it looks to me like the system recovery spontaneously restored the computer to the factory state (7 or 8 year-old laptop), and I was unable to find any of her data. I did unhide system files, and I was not able to find anything that resembled a folder where old data might have been migrated to. She has a new laptop, but I was slow in transferring her stuff (technical issues with Windows transfer tool), and there isn't a backup (yes, I know better - but I'm not very good at implementation).

Does anyone know of a way to recover the lost data so I can transfer it to the new laptop?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation