Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Roseguy Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop battery not charging and battery charge LED shows white when power unplugged

Pavilion g6-1b60us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP g6-1b60us Notebook PC

Here is the situation and symptoms. 

1. Battery not charging. Battery icon indicates battery being charged, but it sits at 5%. Have bought a replacement HP battery and that battery will not charge also (it sits at 50%, which I assume is the initial charge it came with). 
  2. Run the HP Support Assistant and both batteries fail the test saying that cell 4 is bad (cells 1 to 3 have charge, but cell 4 has a 0 reading, even in the new battery). (Is there a problem accessing/charging cell 4?)
  3. When the battery is installed and the AC adaptor is unplugged, and the laptop is turned off, the battery charge LED shows a white LED (red/amber indicates that it is charging the battery); now the only time the LED goes out is when the battery is physically removed. Before the problem began, the battery charge LED would be off when the battery was installed and the charger was not being used. Now the battery charge LED goes off only when the battery is physically removed.

What I have tried:

1. Cleaned the contacts.
  2. Bought a new HP battery.
  3. Tried the complete discharge method of turning the laptop off, removing the power cord and battery and holding the power on key for over 30 seconds.
  4. Have done safe restarts.
  5. Reset to HP recommended settings.

Suggestions/recommendations?

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
45 2 3
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop battery not charging and battery charge LED shows white when power unplugged

@Roseguy

Thanks for reaching HP Support Forums.

This is the one stop for all technical solutions. 

Maybe I can help you with this. I understand your laptop doesn’t charge the battery.

Please update the BIOS

Also, follow this link ‘Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7)'

Hope this helps.

I will be waiting for your reply. 

GeekMak
I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Roseguy Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The BIOS version that was previously there was F.49 dated 12/25/2012.  I did the BIOS update as recommended successfully but there was no change in the laptop behavior and the problem remains.  The HP BIOS update process indicated it was F.49 Rev. A, dated 1/30/2013.

During the BIOS upgrade process, the InsydeFlash installer indicated that the current BIOS id was 169B version F.49 and the new BIOS id of 169B version F.49.  However, after the BIOS upgrade the system information indicates a BIOS version of F.49 12/25/2012 - apparently no change. 

Was/is the BIOS F.49 that I had/have is the current version of the BIOS for my laptop model? I noticed that the file,  sp60593.exe, brought down by your message link extracted files that have files dated 12/25/2012. (I also went to the HP support site and did not see a more updated BIOS version to download)

So, what is the next thing to try?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
45 2 3
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Roseguy

Thank you for the update.  

Your laptop already had the latest version BIOS.  Your laptop needs to be repaired. 

I would request you to call HP Phone support for service. 

GeekMak
I am an HP Employee

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the “Thumbs Up” to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation