Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop crashing while watching Netflix with HDMI

HP Recommended
Pavilion entertainment pc
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

This issue just recently started.

I use my laptop for watching Netflix. I have it connected to my tv using an hdmi cable.

Now after watching netflix for about 5 minutes the issue will start. Both screens go black real quick then picture comes back. But it is frozen and making a loud ticking noise through the speakers on the tv. The laptop is then non responsive and will only shut off by holding the power button. The laptop then will not turn back on. When I try to start it back up it tries to start but shuts off after about 3 seconds. After I let it sit for about 30 minutes it will then allow me to power it back on. This used to not happen but now it happens every time. I thought it may have been over heating but it doesn't feel hot at all.

It only does this when connected to hdmi.

The things I have tried are:
Higher quality HDMI cable
Using to setting to only use the tv as the display
Tying it on other tvs.

What could my issue be? I'm not very savvy with computers.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,909
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01604982Hi @Jamesharvey24

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you have a TV connected via HDMI and when you watch Netflix after approximately 5 minutes then both screens go black and the notebook freezes.  You have tried changing the HDMI cable and different TVs but  that did not make a difference.

Have you checked for any Windows updates?

Here is a link to Open the Windows Update troubleshooter that may help find additional drivers.  

Once launched, it should show a screen like this.

windows updater.png

Use the second option "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", it should lead to a force update of 'Windows Updates' that may not be automatically being applied that could fix some of these issues.

Have you ran the   HP Support Assistant?

Have you ran  the Windows troubleshooter?

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7) that may also help.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!
Sparkles1

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation