cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
13 8 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Laptop freezing when I plug/unplug a USB device

HP Recommended

Hi all. Here are my stats:

HP Pavilion dv6

Windows 7 Home Premium Build (Version 6.1, Build 7601, Service Pack 1) - 64 bit version

BIOS F.27

Aside from generally being excruciatingly slow, and having the fan run at high speeds nearly constantly, my computer now freezes up every time I plug in a USB device. Can be an external hard drive, my iPhone, a wireless mouse receiver. Doesn't matter.

It intermittently unfreezes - so, for example, it'll freeze, and I'll try to move the pointer. The pointer won't move, but after a bit the pointer will quickly move around the screen, as if the computer is just now noticing or getting to the fact that I told it to move. Then it freezes again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I have all the latest Windows updates and have a current virus protection program. This happens when I'm running next to zero applications -- only thing on is probably Dropbox, Chrome, maybe iTunes (sometimes not). Oh, and I regularly run CCleaner (probably obsessively). 

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You arent alone. Mine has been doing it to for awhile now.

Everything charges fine, nothing is loose, touchpad is useless when I plug it in.

Mouse freezes every 4 secs or so for 2 secs then works for 4 secs then freezes for 2 secs.

I hear the USB unplug and plugin tone periodically.

It seems a chipset defect to me.....

I'm using it with Vista so it isn't OS related either...

I just tried the latest BIOS and that didnt solve the problem either.

Tried 4 different mice, removed Synaptics drivers too.

Just did a clean install and updated all of the drivers from HP.

Trying the Windows Updates now to see if that fixes it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oddly enough a Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse without the software seems to be working without any problems?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/arc-touch-mouse

This higher end mouse that has much higher report resolution with blue track seems to be working without issue?

Previously the other 4 mice:

I used two Dell standard corded mice and one IBM corded standard PC mouse and those kept having freeze problems.

I used an HP wireless mouse and it gave me trouble too.

All of those mice work fine on my other PC's & laptops.

But this new Microsoft mouse is working ok..... after half an hour no freezes.

I'm baffled =P

The touchpad still dies when I plug it in but it just gets in the way when I type anyhow.......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 8 0 2
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm beginning to think mine is related or caused by a FreeAgent GoFlez external hard drive. Mine froze again, so I had to do a hard shutdown. When I powered up, the computer got stuck on the HP logo. As soon as I unplugged that drive, it advanced the startup sequence. Hm.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 12 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've got a Seagate GoFlex 3 Terabyte NAS hooked up to my Netgear N600 wireless router.

I had it hooked up to the ethernet at one point and moved it to hardline on my wireless network instead.

The software drove me nuts so i uninstalled it.

Just remember the network name of the device and username and password to get into it.

Dont need the software and i setup windows backup to use it instead.

Works a lot better that way.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation