Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My daughter got 3rd degree burn 3 wks ago from my ASUS laptop. She has had to have 2 surgeries in 2 wks and has to have skin grafting in 3 wks. Had anyone ever heard of this happening before?
HP Recommended

Hey, I suggest all of you that are having problems with HP pavillion getting way too hot and HP customer service not wanting to do anything with it... use your social media... put it out there where everyone will see it... like on Facebook and Twitter... social media is such a powerful tool any more... if it won't at least make them accept accountability for a defective product then maybe it will affect the amount of people still foolish enough to buy there product.  Come on, one voice you guys... you really can make a difference... put it out there... be relentless about it... on top of that boycott their product, see how well they interact with something that's their fault then...

HP Recommended

What is very bogus about HP not wanting to be accountable... they do it about everything.  I bought my laptop for school and about 1 month and a few days after I got it, it crashed.  I had to get another hard drive and install it myself.  I had not even made the first payment on the thing but they told me my warranty had expired... I said 'really, on a laptop that's only 1 day past the 30 day mark'  and yes it has the same problem... it gets overheated and shuts down on me... always has.  They have such poor accountability and customer service.  I think it's about time the world should know the truth.

HP Recommended

Hi Eggbert_61,

I have forwarded your post to the appropriate team for their review

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I bought an HP laptop in October 2013, and within a month, I noticed it started getting really hot. So hot, that it burnt my leg. It left a red mark, but went away after a little while. I noticed that the power cord was hot too. I still use the laptop, however, I always make sure that it is sitting up on something so that the vents can breathe on it. What is scary, is the fact that I have kids who use this computer, and I am afraid they may forget to shut it off when done, and lay it on a surface such as a bed or carpet and start a fire. The laptop literally gets that hot!! So, am wondering, should I contact HP to get an exchange, or what should I do. Other than getting extremely hot, it has been a great working device. My concern lies with the safety of this machine.

HP Recommended

Hi @ksohrenssen ,

I have sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your private messages then this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi George,

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion DV6t-7000 laptop. My computer was bought in US last December 2012 but using it here in the Philippines. I already bought a cooling pad for my laptop but it is still getting very hot that even the plastic covering my cooling pad is starting to deform. Just 3 days ago, my battery died and needs to buy a new one. I am using my laptop now by pluging it directly in the power outlet.

Can you please advise how to solve this problem.

Thanks

Ariel

HP Recommended
I purchased my dv6 in 2011, not long after it was overheating and the fan quit working so I sent it in for repair and they said it was a heat sink problem. Shortly after getting it back I noticed it was still getting pretty hot so I called HP and they assured me everything was normal. I then informed them I was noticing performance loss in which they recommended I run virus/malware scans in which I did along with defragging, restoring, and completely wiping and resetting several times to which it made no difference. At that point the laptop was running around 50% less than what was new. Of course I tried running from battery in which watching youtube or netflix I was lucky to get 30 minutes of battery life that way so I switched to keeping it plugged in just so I could use it. Several months after that the screen went out so they sent a tech to my work to fix it since I had purchased the extended warranty. During this visit I explained to the tech everything and of course he had no real answer either. After a few more calls to hp and them saying everything was ok and it was just normal wear and tear . So we get to the next problem, it wouldn't turn on period so I called them back and they told me to take the battery out and try with it plugged in, nope didn't turn on. They then walked me through resetting the battery by taking it off and hitting the reset button under it while holding the power button in and sure enough it turned on on but I still kept having to do that at least half the time when I turned it on from being shut down so I called back once again and asked for it to be fixed and they said it's not broke so they wouldn't do anything. At this point I gave up trying to deal with them and spending hours upon hours with them and getting nowhere so I went and bought a new laptop. Well about a month ago I broke it back out so my wife could use it and now not only is the battery prob still persisting the laptop is randomly popping up all kinds of memory issues at random and having very odd boot ups. So a few nights ago I stumbled across the power cord recall and it all makes sense, years of "abuse" has no doubt ruined my laptop. I know HP is claiming that it's not possible for this to occur but I can most certainly say that it can cause those problems over time. After inputting the serial number from my power cord along with the serial number from my laptop it tells me I was not affected by the recall but if I put the serial number from my laptop in with the serial number from the power brick it says I am affected. To me it seems they are once again trying to weasel out of things by deception and I did take screen shots of both scenarios. I will be calling HP in the morning to discuss this in hopes they will do the right thing and replace my laptop but I'm not expecting them too and if they don't I'll be checking into legal action if I must.
HP Recommended

Same here...I've noticed over the last couple of days that my Pavillion is getting very hot.  It crashed a few weeks ago and I took the battery out and ran it on AC then put the battery back in and it worked...still didn't hold a charge for long.  I've been ignoring the messages about my battery but knew it was going bad.  Anyway now it is getting extremely hot!  Hasn't crashed yet but I'm about to shut it down again for it to cool off.  When I boot back up I'll shop for a new laptop.  Too bad it only lasted a couple of years.  I liked the laptop in general but I don't like the fact that they are so disposable.  Seems that a lot of manufacturers are making their products with poor design so that they can keep making money from customers who need replacement parts.  Having the same problem with my 1 year old very expensive front load washer.  I guess I'm just  getting fed up with spending a lot of money for computers and appliances that have aroundin a 2 year lifespan.  Still using my 15 year old dryer with no problems.  All of the newer computers are cheap.  I remember my old Packard Bell 365 desktop from way back in the 90's.  That thing lasted 10 years then I gave it away...it was outdated but I never had a single problem with it.  I'll quit complaining about the crappy lifespan of my Pavillion and won't mention the other desktop pc's that are dead after 6 months from bad hard drive...well I did mention it after all.  Gotta go and let my laptop cool off...and me too..sorry for the long rant.  Just disgusted

HP Recommended

My HP products all seem to be made as disposable now.  Like you, I was loyal to HP because they used to make great products.    They are making huge cuts everywhere they can and do not pay their employees nearly ehough.  Terrible place to work for and the products are being made by underpaid employees who are working for a company that has no concern for their morale.  The managers suck and the company has ended up being full of people who were ticked off all the time about their job.  No wonder the products are beginning to suck.  HP your reorgs are going to be your downfall.  Get with the program and pay your employees what they deserve.  Cut out the micromanaging crap and let your workers excel and be happy.  In the end you'll end up being a reputable company.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.