cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Laptop lid won't click shut

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having a physical hardware problem with my HP Elitebook: it's impossible to click it shut. It's always a little open.

To start with, only one of the "pegs" stopped working, but now they're useless both of them. I've tried probing with a pen in the locking mechanisms, but can't find anything obvious (like something clogging them up).

Is this a common problem? Now my docking station has begun acting the same way (it's very hard to click the laptop to stick to the station), so I'm beginning to think HP has taken shortcuts design-wise here...

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 1 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried brushing the cat off the keyboard before trying to close the lid? That worked for me....

DV5-1007tx
DV6-3042tx
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  Also, my pen has quit working and y key sticks.  I am afraid this tablet is not sturdy enough for my use (I am a college instructor who teaches online and take the computer with me everywhere)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
1,328 1,318 43 177
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is this a 6930p?  I have come across dozens where I work that have the same issue.  HP's solution so far is to disassemble the unit, and bend the pins in on the base chassis and reassemble.  Which works for a day or two and then back to normal.  I'm curious to know if you have the same model.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• 0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    1 1 0 0
    Message 5 of 6
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

I also have a 6930 and have the same issue with the lid not staying locked shut. Plan to open a ticket with my company's Computer Support group to see if they know of a fix.

0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    1 1 0 0
    Message 6 of 6
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

It is just a flawed design. The part that the lid latches secure to [connected to the base] is a flimsy piece of aluminum that bends easily and can break. I work on 100s of these from lease returns and have about a 20% failure rate. Try velcro on the palm rest and lcd bezel for a quick fix.

0 Kudos
    This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation