cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Hallito
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Laptop ownership tracking.

HP Recommended

I bought a laptop from a person whom I did not know, and I am beginning to suspect it might’ve been stolen, how do I track who owned it before.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Hallito,

Contact HP Support immediately: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html

Your local police department may also be able to track it if it was reported as stolen.

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
0 Kudos
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
31,536 31,244 2,866 10,496
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hallito,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

I am sorry this may have happened to you. 

Notebooks are not like Apples -- they are not registered on the internet with their serial numbers and as such they are harder to track down once they are away from their rightful owners.

You can call HP -- I somewhat doubt whether HP can help you by providing personal information on a computer that may have been owned by someone else.  HP is not allowed to hand out that kind of information to individuals.  HP would cooperate with the Police if they were to ask the same questions.  Still, you could ask.

Contact HP - Worldwide

Contact HP – USA - Phone Assistance

Whomever lost the notebook may have reported it to the Police in his / her community.

If the notebook has within it Anti-theft security software, then the notebook may broadcast it's location to the software company when the system is next allowed to connect to the Internet.  Lo-Jack works in this way.  Just a note:  Resintalling the Operating System does NOT get rid of the Anti-Theft software as it is deeply embedded and is built to withstand most attempts to dig it out.

If you are interested in getting this notebook back to its rightful owner, and you are in the USA, you may contact your local Law Enforcement.  I cannot judge the impact of contacting Law Enforcement outside of this country ; there could be unforeseen consequences in some locations for this brave act.

If the notebook is listed as stolen, that information, along with the notebook's serial number may be available in the Police Database. 

Understand that if you do contact Law Enforcement and the notebook is, in fact, listed as stolen, you will at the least lose possession of the stolen property.   You may have to answer questions about how you obtained the notebook and you might be asked to give a description of whomever sold you the computer.

It is the right thing to do, regardless of who owned it previously.  If the previous owner was a vicious terrorist, then all the more reason to get rid of the property and let the Police deal with it.

Regardless of WHAT you decide, protect your safety.

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who take time to help!

Dragon-Fur

muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur for the thorough writeup!

___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation