Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rose120 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop shuts down after short period of time

My laptop is shutting down after a short period of time.  This started about two months after installing windows 10.   I checked my settings and they are what I want so resetting them probably won't help.  I saw an answer to this problem that read as follows:   What does "remove the tick from the box next to 'On resume, display log-on screen'." mean?   I don't see a box next to 'On resume, display log-on screen' with a tick.

Open windows Control Panel, open Personalization, click the Screen Saver link in the bottom right and in the following window adjust the 'Wait' time to a more acceptable figure and remove the tick from the box next to 'On resume, display log-on screen'.  Click Apply, then Ok to save this setting.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop shuts down after short period of time

Hey @Rose120, 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I am glad that you have joined in and asked for help with suggestions and solutions when it comes to your HP Notebook PC. I will do my absolute best to help you come to a resolution.

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution.

If you are looking to not have  a password set up after you wake the Notebook from sleep mode etc. I would suggest the following steps: 

• Control Panel
  • Power Options
  • Pick the plan you use
  • Change Plan Settings
  • Change Advanced Settings.
  • Open the + box at the name of the plan
  • Look for "Require Password on Wakeup" in the drop down
  • Change it to 'No'
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK

The setting that you are inquiring has to do with the Windows Registry I believe but I am not 100% sure where that particular path will take you and what it will do. 

Otherwise, please use the links in the questions below to troubleshoot and then re-post with the answers to the questions/results of the troubleshooting. 

Have you tried to start in Safe Mode?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

Have you tried to do a disk defragment?

Have you tried to do a disk cleanup?

Please try cleaning the vents inm your Noteobok

Is the Fan Noisy or Spin Constantly?

Is the PC Warmer than Normal

Have you tried Testing for hardware failures?

Here are some documents for you that may help:

If you require further assistance, I would be happy to help. Please make sure that you have done each step (including the ones in the troubleshooting document) in order and provide the detailed results of the steps. 

If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

I look forward to hearing your response. 

I am glad that you joined in!
Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation