cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ChrisGG
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop shuts down randomly

I got an HP Envy 15z-j100 customized for Christmas. I was expecting it to work perfectly, I've been using it for playing video games, and I'm getting pretty irritated. 

In the middle of games, the display will randomly go black, and the audio goes off, without shutting down, then I have to shut it down by holding down the power button, and starting it back up. Sometimes, when I start it back up, I can log in, then my cursor shows up with a black desktop, and nothing loads. This happens quite frequently.

I have a fan, so I don't think the problem is over heating. I've already had to partially reinstall windows once because of an issue, and it's really annoying. My drivers are all up to date, and I really don't know what the problem is anymore.

Is it just overheating and will I have to upgrade my fan, or is this caused by defective hardware? S

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 

Product number: E1R45AV

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
DerekQ
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 110
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Apparently. It is your memory or you got a unstable power source or outlet.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ChrisGG
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What can I do about this?

0 Kudos
DerekQ
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 110
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wait check your power settings in control panel, you might enabled something.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
0 Kudos
ChrisGG
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have set to High Performance, even when I had it on HP Recommended, it didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
DerekQ
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 110
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You wanna go to plan settings and advanced to see auto hibernate auto sleep auto shutdown all that stuff enabled.

0 Kudos
ChrisGG
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's disabled

0 Kudos
DerekQ
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 110
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know it isn't overheating problem, but...

When ever a computer overheats the laptop does this to prevent damage.

I wondered if what other hardware issues causing this.

Let me try to see what I can do.

0 Kudos
DerekQ
Level 7
1,091 1,085 43 110
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Another thing is:, A virus could shutdown your computer randomly, you haven't tried running a restore right?

0 Kudos
ChrisGG
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Before I reinstalled Windows the first time, the problem was still occuring. I do have anti-virus and can run a scan.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation