cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
13 8 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Laptop spontaneously wakes up from sleep

HP Recommended

I've got a Pavilion dv5 running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. I also have my laptop connected to an external HP w1907 monitor so the screens work side-by-side (the laptop's screen is the primary screen, and it extends to the external monitor, to the right).

Usually, instead of shutting down the computer at night, I'll simply close the lid and put it to sleep. I've been doing this for a while with no effects. But all of a sudden, for the past two nights, and precisely at 3 a.m., the computer wakes up on its own. The white HP logo on the back of the laptop lid lights up, the fan whirs to life, and the external monitor turns on. And the thing is, it has now become my primary screen - so the log-in buttons are over there.

Since it's the middle of the night, I usually just turn off the external monitor to get rid of the bright light and go back to bed. At some point, the laptop goes back to sleep (because it's idle?). In the morning, when I open the lid, it wakes up as normal, although the monitors have been switched - the task bar/start menu are on the external monitor (yet the sidebar stays on the laptop's monitor for some reason) and I have to go to screen settings to swap them out.

Any ideas why a) my computer is spontaneously waking up, b) why it's doing so at 3 a.m. or c) why the monitors switch places?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 8 0 2
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, one possible thing - I just noticed that for the past two days there has been a "security update for Microsoft .NET Framework" that has been downloaded and installed. Today's was installed at 3:03 a.m. So perhaps this is what's doing it? Although - should it be doing this if the computer's ostensibly asleep?

0 Kudos
Level 4
85 85 1 8
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

change the settings of your windows update maybe it is set to a specifica time.click start type in windows update on the start search bar.click change settings on the left pane.

Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Go to Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Power Options.  Then click on Advanced Power Settings.  There should be a setting called Sleep with a few options under it.  Set Allow Wake Timers to disabled.  This will prevent any of the timed events (such as updates) to wake the laptop from sleep.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Lap top sopintaneously wakes up form sleep at 3.00am every day even is it is unplugged.

What can I do/

I have tried all the suggestions and nothing work.s.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation