cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PSU_HBG_GRAD
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop turns off when Battery above 30%

Pavilion DV7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So HP laptops have a tendency of overheating... and when they do, they power off immediately. This is NOT that issue.

When I'm working solely on my battery (no AC charger) My laptop will turn off in maybe 45 minutes... I keep an eye on the battery level and it never drops to below 20% when this occurs. The laptop isn't burning hot and no error/warning messages are displayed (and no beeps).... Just poof power off.

Ive downloaded the newest HP support assistant and ran the battery test and it said it was fine.

I've tried to the manual calibration (since Support assistant isn't giving me the option to calibrate it) where I do the diagnostic logic (F2) and run the Hard Drive test on Battery until the laptop dies... Plugged in the charger and restarted.. what do you know, battery was at 40%... on the battery battery level button is showing half-charge....

So what do I do when the laptop is saying battery is good - not replace... How do I force that calibration? Something is wrong in that the power is dying half-way through the power cycle.

Apprecaite any advice!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @PSU_HBG_GRAD,

Welcome back to HP Forums!

I have read your post and wanted to help. I understand that the laptop shuts down when the battery has more than 30% of the volume.

Please restore the power settings to the default and run the power troubleshooter:

HP Notebook PCs - Power Management (Windows 7)

Let me know if it helps.

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs up icon. If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
PSU_HBG_GRAD
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SDJL,

Thank you for replying. I reset both the power settings and the advanced power settings before redoing the Battery Check.

I ran the Power Troubleshooter and it only fixed things like Dim time, Sleep Time, Brightness too high and screensaver...

I will give it a shot but I get leary because i lose data when this happens.

Will let you know

0 Kudos
PSU_HBG_GRAD
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It did not work. I let it run until the power went out (once again losing a bunch of work!).

Battery was around 40% according to the windows icon.

Battery test reran and it said status was "OK"

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,785 2,654 144 331
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @PSU_HBG_GRAD,

Have you tried to also run the hardware tests of hard drive and memory?

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

If there is no problem with hard drive and memory hardware, contact HP Phone support.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation