Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G3
Almost 2 years ago now (I know super long to wait to ask about it) my laptop had stopped charging, I don't know why, the power cable is fine and still has power running into it but the power jack (where you plug the charger in?) Was moving around, it became loose, my dad took my laptop apart tonight and fixed it back into place and he put it back together and stuck it on charge but it still won't charge and it would be really great to get my laptop working again as I need it for study. I received my laptop from a course I started and I emailed them about it but they didn't do anything about it so I'm lost, is there anything I can do to fix it?
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you remove the battery and connect the power adapter does the power led come on?

Will the notebook power on and boot to a Windows login screen?

If it does, then the greatest [probability is that your battery has seen the end of its serviceable life.

Notebook main batteries are only warrantied for one year. That is just a fact of the IT industry.

It is because everyone seems to use notebook a bit differently.

Some people, like myself, usually get three to five years out of a battery.

Other people just make it past the one year warranty before their battery dies.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Removing the battery doesn't change anything, I had had the laptop a few months before it stopped charging. Whenever I plug in the charger, an orange light would turn on so I knew it was charging, but it stopped doing that a while ago.
HP Recommended

OK. That means it is unlikely to be the battery.

Plug the power adapter into house power and then connect it to the notebook. Remove the battery.  Gently wiggle the connector where it connects to the notebook.

Does the power LED flicker on and off as you wiggle the connector?

If it does, that means that the DC power connector on the notebook is damaged.

There does exist the possibility that the power adapter has failed.  

So now we are down to two of the three possible failed components that can cause the notebook not to charge. 

The third component is the charging and power distribution circuit that is an integral part of the notebook's system board. The system board is the motherboard of a notebook PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Okay well the charging light doesn't come on at all, no matter how much I wiggle the charger, since the place where you connect is out of place (my dad removed the glue he used to stick it back) the charger doesn't actually go in as far as it needs to go, and even when it was glued back into place that didn't change anything really. We checked to make sure the charger was working and it does have power going into it, but we can't see anything else wrong with the laptop other than that one wiggling piece
HP Recommended

The power connector cable may have failed. The part is simple to replace. No soldering is required.

See the following image

power cable.png

Power connector cable
749647-001

Major parts list for the notebook

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=6732462&docId=emr_na-c04515336&docLocale...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.