Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 14t Laptop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello

So my laptop will not recognize that the charger is plugged in or charged when it is on, BUT will charge when the laptop is off. I have the following product #: L3Y43AV and this problem started yesterday.

Here are scenarios

When the charger is plugged into the laptop, the laptop does not even register that the charger is plugged in and continues to work on battery power. It does not transfer over to being powered by the AC. The AC/Battery Light is either solid white when the battery has a near full charge, or eventually goes to blinking white to signify the battery needs charging.

When the charger is plugged into the laptop, and I put the laptop into Sleep Mode or Turn it off, the AC/Battery light turns to Amber to signify that the battery is charging. Eventually the light goes back to white to signify that the battery is fully charged. However, once I turn the laptop back on, it immediately goes right back to battery mode.

The battery seems to be working fine as it's holding it's charge like it was before this problem came up. I tried the following methods to fix it.

1) I let the battery drain completely with the AC pluged in. I then let it charge while off and turned the laptop back on. No Luck.

2) I deleted all the Battery Drivers and re-installed them. Then I ran the update checker to see that they were all up-to-date. No Luck

3) I ran a complete BIOS update. No Luck

If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. A 1.5 year old laptop shouldn't be having problems like this. I usually need to work on my laptop for long periods of time and being able to work on it while plugged in continuosly is extremely important to my work.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @BeastEG, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand your laptop won't recognize the charger to charge when the PC is power on.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different charger and adapter?

I appreciate your efforts fo trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Try performing a system restore on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

Also, run a battery test on your PC from F2 and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'll try those.

HP Recommended

I tried all of that after you recommended it and unfortunately it didn't help. I appreciate the offer to help though.

Was forced to take of back panel to see what was going on. Looks like the DC connection was faulty and eventually just broke. After doing some basic electronic diagnoistics, realized we had to the change the parts.

If I had dropped the laptop or something like that, I guess I wouldn't be too mad, but for a DC jack to burn out in 1.5 years is really disappointing 😞

I'd recommend whomever is your Quality Control person...probably shouldn't be your Quality Control person anymore.

HP Recommended

@BeastEG,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I'm having exactly the same problem, I'm going to do a system restore tomorrow and hope that works. I have noticed that the bottom of the laptop is very hot and the fans are working hard after only 30 mins of the laptop being on. Is this a system that there us a hardware problem and not software. Might save me some time.

Kind Regards

CJ
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.