Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ospli Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop won't turn on without the AC adapter, the battery is fully charged.

ProBook 450 G0
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,

my laptop (HP ProBook 450 G0) won't turn on without the AC adapter although the battery is charged (97%).

When the adapter isn't plugged in, the adapter/battery LED (on the left side of the laptop) is flashing really fast (like 20times per sec). When I press the power button, nothing happens.

When the adapter is plugged in, I can turn the laptop on. The adapter/battery LED is off, Windows say "plugged in, not charging".

I ran battery test and system hardware test and everything's OK. I tried hard reset (pressing power button 30 sec) and it didn't help.

Any advice? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Tutor TenzinL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 8
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ospli,

It is normal to see battery above 95% and say "Plugged in, not charging." This is a feature so that the unit doesn't overcharge the battery and cause issue. But in regards to the unit shutting off right away when ac power is disconnected, that is not normal. Please try updating the BIOS to latest version to see if that fixes the issue.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5359406&swItemId=ob_151846_1&swEnvOid=413...

Thank you,

-Tenzin

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

#hpexpertday
Intern Intern
Intern
23 1 9
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ospli,

The most recent BIOS update should resolve this issue for you. 

Here is the link for that:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5359406&swItemId=ob_151846_1&swEnvOid=405...

Also, it is normal to see "Plugged in, Not Charging" at a high percentage for Smart batteries. This is to extend the total life of the battery. Here is the HP link for the article that references that issue as well:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01624839&sp4ts.oid=471753

Hope this helps!

-Tiannah

I am an HP employee

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

#hpexpertday
Ospli Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi TenzinL,

I updated the BIOS to the latest version but nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Tutor TenzinL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 8
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Ospli,

Do you have a known working battery to see if it's an issue with the battery or controller on the system board? If not, please call 800-334-5144 and say business notebook when you go through the prompt. 

Thank you,

-Tenzin

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

#hpexpertday
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation