Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LolaGeek Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop wont turn on unless i put a windows installation disc?

HP ProBook 6455b

My laptop wont turn on it keeps telling me i need a windows installation disc but my laptop didnt come with it. i have had this laptop for a good while and the charger got a little torn so i didnt turn the computer on for a good time. now that im trying to turn it on it says there might be a windows update that needs to be updated but then it tells me i need a windows installation disc for the update or repair to even do what it need to. so if anybody can help that would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a little hard to understand. You say it will not turn on yet it is telling you something? How and when? What version of Windows is on it? Take us through the sequence of what happens when you power it on. Does it boot up and can you log into Windows? 

0 Kudos
LolaGeek Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sorry about that it does turn on it just doesnt boot up.  A windows boot manager pops up saying that windows failed to start a recent hardware or software update may be the problem then it continues to say to insert a windows installation disc which i do not have and then to choose a language setting and click repair computer 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seems like the hard drive may be corrupted. Can you get into BIOS (F10 as you power up) and run the hardware test on the hard drive? And, again, what version of Windows are you supposed to have? That is an older machine and could have anything from Vista to Windows 10. 

0 Kudos
LolaGeek Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It has the windows 7 and i could get into bios theres 3 options File, Security, and System Configuration. File has the option of system diagnostics is that what im suppose to be pressing?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes see what is in there, specifically looking for something like "hard drive self-test". 

0 Kudos
LolaGeek Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System information, start up test, run-in test, and hard disk test is the only thing that pops out when i clicked the system diagnostics

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard disk test. select it and run it

0 Kudos
LolaGeek Top Student
Top Student
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard disc test failed says there is a read failure?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like I am right. The hard drive needs to be replaced. On that model it is an easy customer-accessible compartment and a new hard drive will cost as little as $50. Are you in USA? Do you have recovery media for Windows 7?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation