cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
milhers Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Left hinge - case separation

HP Envy 17 inch
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Left hinge issue - the very same I have been reading about in this blog. I purchased my beloved laptop in August of 2013, it is NOT a refurbished item ; it is the Beats Audio version.
This is the second time this has happened to my laptop, the first time was about 1.5 years ago. An excellent service technician at Future Shop was able to take the back off to find the tiny screw that had worked its way out, there wasn't even a charge for the service. I miss this technician, she was the best one I have ever dealt with.
Before this issue my warranty was coming up so I took it in for a tune up. I mentioned I was having issues with the sound; I thought it was a software issue, it wasn't. They ended up sending it back to HP, the motherboard was replaced.
Now the left hinge is gone again, this time I am told that HP doesn't have replacement parts as now small pieces have broken off inside. My option is to have it glued with no guarantee.
I NEED my laptop. I can't afford a new one as I graduated from college a few months ago with no job yet. What are my options; can I have another one built from the good parts?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
James297 Top Student
Top Student
6 6 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Left hinge - case separation

I've just had the same issue, and I figured out how to solve it free, though it is a slight bodge job. This seems to be a common issue with the screws ripping out of the plastic case.

I managed to fix it myself and its working fine so far. I think the biggest brakethrough I had was when I messed with the hinge. 

On the hidge there is a odd shaped bolt with a dent on it that cases the hinge to have resistance to being turned. If you remove this piece (or seperate it by some washers) it will allow that hinge to turn freely. This will leave the other hinge keeping the lid open. The right hinge is normaly complelty fine, so this shouldn't matter.

I did this and glued it as well and it seems to be holding fine

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation