Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13

I purchased an HP Spectre 13 and I can't charge my laptop using anything but the official charger.

This is pathetic.

The laptop is supposed to have mobility but I can't even use a powerbank to charge my device.

Please, unlock the BIOS "feature" that blocks me from using 3rd party chargers.

Can't believe I have to ask for this. It's my laptop, I purchased it and it's my right to use 3rd party chargers if I want to, by my own responsibility.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Agreed. I have the same laptop. There is supposed to be a BIOS update which allows it. I have not tried it I bought the smaller 45w HP adapter so I can be more mobile. It would be nice to be able to use a 3rd party port replicator with a power cable to charge the laptop. 

HP Recommended

In fact, i don't want to use a 3rd party charger, i want to use the HP official charger but plugged into a USB hub that accepts power delivery input.

What's the point in having usb type-C connectors if i can't plug something like an USB hub because i have to use those ports to charge the laptop exclusively...

HP Recommended

I recently had difficulties connecting my Spectre 13 laptop (Kaby Lake) with a USB-2 keyboard dongle and printer using my third-party USB-C hub, so I went ahead and purchased the HP USB-C Dock Station (Product #Y0K80AA#ABA).  It works!  It both charges my laptop over USB-C and it solves all the connectivity problems I had with the USB keyboard dongle and printer.  I should've just purchased the (more expensive) HP hub for my HP laptop to begin with.

HP Recommended

HP released a new BIOS update last week, Version F.33 Rev.A, for my Spectre 13 (Kaby Lake) laptop.  The only fixes listed are "Provides improved security of UEFI code."  Just for grins, I got out my old third-party USB-C dock (Plugable) to see if the laptop still complains about an unauthorized charger and refuse to charge.  Sure enough, no change and the Plugable USB-C dock still cannot charge my HP laptop.

Fortunately I've since switched to the official HP USB-C dock which works great and does successfully charge over the single USB-C cable (see my earlier post).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.