cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bill-M
Level 1
9 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Life expectancy

HP Recommended

I have a G56 laptop which has served me very well for 3+ years now.

Recognizing that an "expectation" is NOT a guarantee! ... What should I expect for the life expectancy of critical components?

Of course, I think of the hard drive first ("moving parts" wear out) ...

Should I expect to replace the hard drive at some point?  (And statistically, what is the expected lifetime?)

What about other components... are there any that are statistically likely to fail before others?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
wes_notebooks
Level 10
Level 10
1,513 1,442 152 1,070
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

I don't think HP has any specific expectations on when parts may fail over time.  Your laptop came with a warranty from HP that covers defects for a limited time but normal wear and tear can be unpredictable .  In my experience, most laptops lose display, display cable or display hinges from normal use over time.  These can be the most expensive parts to replace as well.

Replacing a hard drive is common after a year or two so don't forget to back up the data you want to protect.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
WeiH
Level 4
Level 4
98 98 7 12
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Bill,

I would not worry too much on when the Components will fail; backing up your data via cloud or other desktops is always a good habit.

In my experiences, PC boards are the prone to failures after sometime. 3 years is actually a good number if you run demanding softwares, such as games and CAD programs.

I would not worry about it too much since the life expectancy of the laptop depends on how much you "work" the laptop.

If you use demandning softwares, it is always good to keep up and equip the latest laptop, if you are using the laptop for browsing and paper work, my guess is that the life expectency for the laptop will be longer

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Bill-M
Author
Level 1
9 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For the record, it's now 6+ years old, still rock-solid, functionally... the worst problem has been physical damage from slipping off the couch onto the carpeted floor.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation