cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Linux performs great on HP pavilion m6-1035dx with AMD A10 Trinity

HP Recommended

My Notebook: HP pavilion m6-1035dx; Model number B5S06UA#ABA,

Hello All,

I have installed Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in my case) on HP pavilion m6-1035dx laptop with AMD A10 Trinity chipset. This combination performs fabulous and much better than Windows on these AMD A10 chipset machines. All the buttons, options, hardware parts are supported out of the box right after the installation. This also includes the latest Catalyst Drivers from AMD to support video card HD 7660G. I wish more people would switch from Windows into Linux. Also would be nice to see HP Notebooks and Desktops with original installation of any LINUX DISTRIBUTION.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to write, I will try to answer.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Level 2
15 14 1 1
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How did you get the sound to work?

-Ed
0 Kudos
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ed,

you would be surprised, but it all worked ou-of-the-box. This may be tooo simple, but check, if you may have sound turned off through the keyboard buttons. Plus, check if the sound works, and how it is configured, through system settings in Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

I am not sure if this will help.

0 Kudos
Level 2
15 14 1 1
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, I am having the opposite experience.  What I am seeing is anything that tries to use the audio device can cause my system to become unstable to the point of freezing.  I will go to the alsa site and try to install the drivers manually.  I am always cautious when installing ubuntu on recent hardware so that I am not left with a half functional system.  My install is with Wubi now, I don't think this should have anny effect on the device drivers though...

I will mess with it a bit more when I get home from work today.  Thank you for your feedback!

-Ed
0 Kudos
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can also confirm that this laptop runs extremely well with Linux.  I'm not having any problems with the sound, unlike EdGarcia.

Here is a Google Doc I created with instructions for enabling the subwoofer, getting 100% reliable suspend/resume and adjusting the touchpad sensitivity.  Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

I am absolutely loving this laptop so far, and I will be recommending it to family and friends who are looking for a good laptop with which to run Ubuntu.  I installed all of my Humble Indie Bundle games in Kubuntu and they all run perfectly smooth.  The AMD driver offers some nice features such as "tear-free" video and the ability to keep the correct aspect ratio when scaling non-widescreen modes.  The sound quality is terrific, particularly the crisp, clean headphone-out.  I like that the touchpad actually has buttons; I'm not a fan of the let's-all-copy-Apple clickpads that are flooding the current laptop stock.  Also this laptop runs rather cool as well, compared to the Intel i5 laptop I tried out before this one.

0 Kudos
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

I bought the HP Pavilion m6 and installed Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS through the Windows installer.

It works well except for the wifi: I can configure it and it sometimes can't connect at all, and other times connects and gets an address etc (DHCP) and can ping devices on the local network but can't go beyond that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I haven't had any problems with the wireless, but I have also done a native install instead of using the Windows installer.  I'm not sure if that should make any difference, though...

0 Kudos
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

The wifi is working now after the installation of patches.

0 Kudos
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Everything works for me execpt for one thing, dimming the screen. I've tried installing the driver for the video card on the laptop and when I try to dim the screen everything goes haywire. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think you need to update the BIOS on your laptop. After I did that, the screen dimming with the latest proprietary AMD driver works great. If you're using the open source graphics driver, then you may need to upgrade to a newer kernel. I'm not sure which version, but I think it's the 3.7 kernel where this is fixed.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation