Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HPUser2k15 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Longtime CPU-Frequency lower when on AC

HP Elitebook Folio 1020 H9V72E
Linux

Hello,

i noticed a strange behavoiur on my Elitebook Folio 1020 H9V72EA running Ubuntu 14.04.3 64 bit:

The core-m processor wont maintain high frequencies during longtime high-load-scenarios (thats how it is supposed to work). But:

- On battery power it constantly runs on approx. 1450 MHz

- docked and on ac-power it drops down to approx.1250 MHz

That does not seems to be right - anyone with windows having the same behaviour ?

Kind regards,

HPUser2k15

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
MW-TC Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do find it odd, that when you're on AC power the CPU frequencies  are actually lower when they should be higher. I will say, I have some experience with HP Core M products and I've found they throttle quite often, even when temps are good.  I think it's a power limiting issue or TDP issue. It seems to be more prevalent on HP products than other OEMs.  It's extremely noticable when doing something like gaming, where the GPU and CPU are being hit hard.

0 Kudos
HPUser2k15 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Honestly, i don't get.

Why should an Laptop running on AC and with battery inserted run on lower freqs compared to battery-only-usage ?

I monitored temps during the tests - hardly going above 55 °C - so it shouldn't be throttling, but something like a TDP-limit issue.

And again - why should HP limit TDP more when on AC ?

0 Kudos
MW-TC Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm with you. Hopefully a tech at HP can chime in and explain...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation