cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
galaxymednet Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Major Keyboard Issue With Laptop - Request Help

17-g113dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, A customer of mine has an HP laptop model 17-g113dx

The machine at first had Windows 10 but gave her many problems which unfortunately is common with that system.

I reverted her to Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit and it was working at first but now she has this major issue with th keyboard. Everytime she types it skips and the cursor can bounce anywhere, hardly ever stays where she is typing.

Basically she cant use the laptop because of this issue. Does anyone of the forum from HP or enthusiasts now of a fix to this issue? I have not found a solution yet. I dont know if the repeate rate of the keyboard needs to be changed or something else?

Please I could really use some help here so if anyone has come across this issue before and was able to get a fix I would really appreciate it.

Thank You,

Victor

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Nan2527 Tutor
Tutor
9 7 0 4
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It may be that the touchpad is not disabled so as she types every unintentional tap on the touchpad is sending the cursor all over the place.  If this is the case, try these...

You have 2 ways to stop the touchpad from working. 

1) Disable the touchpad or

2) Set it to toggle OFF/ON depending on whether it detects a mouse or not.

Go to Settings> Devices> Mouse & Touchpad> Additional Mouse Options> Clickpad Settings

- Use the Clickpad Disable button 

But each shutdown/restart sends this back to ENABLE, so you need to set it every time you boot.

or

- Use the checkbox to toggle the touchpad OFF if it detects a mouse.

But each Windows Update resets this to the default, which is to be unchecked.

The below method editing the registry doesn't change the touchpad settings, but it does stop the system from resetting it behind your back.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-do-I-PERMANENTLY-set-the-cl...

Re: How do I PERMANENTLY set the clickpad to disable when using a mouse?

‎09-18-2015 07:00 AM

An important thing here is to make sure you don't change ANYTHING else(don't hit the delete key on anything)

Ok, right click on start, then run
type: Regedit

hit return on your keyboard

Yes, there is a LOT of stuff in here, but it is organized.

you have the menu across the top, you want to hit edit, then find

type: DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade

If you look on the bottom of the regedit window, you will see the location, and it SHOULD say: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install

If it does, then on the right side(in the regedit window), you right-click on the DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade, and click modify.    Change it from a 1 to a 0.

The logic here is the 1 means "yes", a 0 would mean no.   We do NOT want the user settings to be deleted on upgrade, so we modify the value.

Once you make the change and hit 0, you can exit out, and that will fix the problem.    Note that you still need to tell the drivers to disable touchpad when an external pointing device is plugged in if you have not already done so.

The advantage to doing this, rather than turning off the touchpad, is that you can unplug your mouse to travel, and you don't have to make changes ahead of time.

0 Kudos
galaxymednet Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will try this with her and get back to you.

One other thing. What about the repeat rate of the keyboard. Now it is set to fast. Should I lower it and see if that helps also? I read somewhere something to that effect

Thanks

0 Kudos
Nan2527 Tutor
Tutor
9 7 0 4
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't believe repeat rate for the keyboard would have any effect on a wild cursor, but it can be annoying for someone who's not a fast typist. If your user finds she's getting characters multiple times together, then she probably will benefit from a slower rate so it allows her to press longer or harder without initiating a repeat of the letter.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation