cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adelgadom
Level 1
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Maximum HD disk size on NW8440

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'd like to replace my HD on a NW8440 laptop.

Does anybody know the max capacity it supports?

I'd ilke to know if someone has used a disk greater than 120 Gb.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
91,856 91,737 11,841 25,299
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Based on this, it uses SATA controller therefore you can get up to current available on the maket.Update BIOS and up you go.Check from this site.

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
adelgadom
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The first think i did, was to check for the specs of this model.

I know it uses SATA disks, and is supposed only to use:

60 Gb, 80 Gb, 100 Gband 120 Gb 5400 rpm SATA as well as 80 Gb, 100 GB 7200 rpm SATA.

But how to know if it can use 200Gb or 500 Gb SATA disks?

I can't buy and try.

This is my doubt, and would like that anybody with this laptop had already checked it pos it.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
130,921 121,098 19,875 30,404
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may have a better chance of getttng the answer you are looking for by posting your question on the HP Business Support Forum, since your notebook is a business workstation (nw) notebook.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-Compaq-Slate/bd-p/bsc-274

Unfortunately, I don't have a guaranteed answer for you. I have many HP business notebooks including the nc6400, which has the same chipset as yours, but mine only has a 60 GB HDD in it.

If I had to take a life or death guess, I would say you could install a 250 GB SATA II 7,200 RPM HDD w/o issues.

Paul

0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,015 44,791 7,234 12,829
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not have that exact model but have installed larger than 120 gig drives on close cousins with same (Intel 945PM) chipset without issue. True SATA interface has no practical size limit. All HP laptops using SATA hard drives with Intel processors use a true SATA interface. A few earlier AMD laptops that use SATA drives actually have a "fake" SATA interface that is at heart an IDE interface. Even those interfaces allow Large Block addressing and can use larger drives.

The specs on that model do say it allows up to a 120 gig drive but that is because that was then the biggest available.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation