cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Media Smart DVD player plays Blu-Rays only in letterbox format.

HP Recommended

I've checked the settings window, and letterbox is the only option available. Is there any way to correct this?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,788
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This assumes you are running Windows 7.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and use it to uninstall your HP MediaSmart DVD Software.  Right click on the icon of the program you wish to remove and select Uninstall.  During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete.  Do the same for any left over files and folders.  Once the uninstall has completed, reboot the PC.

Next, download the latest installer for MediaSmart DVD on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50935.exe

If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip.  Right click the installer you download, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder, open src and scroll down until you see the setup application ( 6th from the bottom with a size of 310Kb ).  Right click this Setup Application and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When the installation has completed, restart the notebook and see if you can now play your Blu ray discs in a better aspect.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,229
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@blheinz

I'm confused, if you mean letter-box with the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, then this is normal.

If the original content of the Blu-ray was filmed in 2.40:1 then you will see the black bars and there are no adjustments in Media Smart to correct this.

I think there may be in Cyberlinks Power DVD10, but I have never played with the settings.

Find a movie that is 1.78:1 and it will fill the screen.

Directors don't like people adjusting the aspect ration of their precious movies so it is difficult to zoom the film up to get rid of the bars.

I think LG makes Blu-ray players that will do this, but they may have changed that.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation