Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 Desktop Manager Eats All Memory, locking up computer for 30 to 120 seconds.  My Pavilion came with Windows 8 (do not remember memory problems then) , I upgraded to Windows 10 about 3 years ago.  Memory hogging seems to be increasingly bad at least over last year. 

Computer specs: Windows 10 Home, version 1607, OS build 14393.1198.  4 GB Ram. 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor.

The lockups happen often enough as to make the pavilion undependable.  Otherwise works fine.

I have not located any driver updates or other related information  from HP.

Any help?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @TreeClimbing

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

What you experience is called memory leak - like an entire process not handling itself properly and leaking all of itself into the memory (RAM). This is usually operating system or process issue. And since this is Desktop Manager of W 10 dwm - this is Microsoft issue, not HP related problem.  HP shipped your PC with relatively good and stable operating system Windows 8, why did you decide to use Win 10 - no idea.

You can see in your preffered search engine that this is very common problem.

It is best to scratch over at Microsoft forums.

I see you use an older build of Windows 10 - as you probably heard they released Creator's Update about 2 months ago.

Generally speaking, I strongly recommend you use Windows 8 (8.1) if the PC shipped with it and if you did not have problems with it before.

Could you post your full HP product model name and product number (PN) >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Have you performed RAM tests so far >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.