cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have had Windows 10 for over 6 months. No problems. Then a few days ago Microsoft Edge starting blocking pop-ups like crazy and getting constant "re-directs". Think a game download may have had malware attached. Now can't figure out how to get rid of these constant problems. Anybody else experiencing this and if so, have you figured out how to stop it? Also.....tried to just use regular IE instead of Edge, but just keep getting the "....can't display this page" message. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
86,220 86,105 10,947 23,512
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Microsoft Edge and Windows 10 are products from Microsoft. Please try:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/355217-microsoft-edge.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,786 25,719 2,358 5,577
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

elcc

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but continuing to use Edge is going to continue to put you into problems like this.

MS is still "developing" Edge and constantly pushing out updates for it --without telling you and without your knowledge.  A recent update could easily have "broken" it -- as recent Win10 updates have developed that reputation.

My suggestion is that you sign up to the Win10 community forums and explore the posts they have their on Edge:  http://www.tenforums.com/

Folks there use it a lot, and you'll get lots of useful advice.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TY bunches banhien!!!!!! I clicked on the link you sent and though I thought I would be dealing directly with MICROSOFT.....it ended up being CTS.....a company affiliated with MICROSOFT.....and though I'm usually EXTREMELY uncomfortable with allowing ANYONE remote access to my computer if I'm not 100% confident of their "authenticity"....(which is what this company claimed they needed to do)....(sigh).....I decided to take the chance since my computer was already in such a mess I figured I was at the point of having to just trash it and spend the bucks on a new one.

(Was having probs with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 suddenly blocking literally EVERYTHING, causing literally EVERY site to either freeze up or "not respond" and was being "RE-DIRECTED" to sites that we didn't even click on and have never even visited, at an almost INSANE rate!!!!!.....which we've deduced was apparently due to a "malware/adware" attached to a game my husband had downloaded a day prior to the point all the problems suddenly started!!!!) 

BUT......though it ended up costing me $180.00 (LOL....yeah....nothing's FREE anymore).......so far, now over 24 hrs later, my 8 month old computer seems to be now running almost as it was from the day I bought it!!!!!

I've always found good people and great help here.....so wanted to make sure to reply back and say a huge THANKS!!!!! Hugs!!!!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your feedback WAWood!!!!! Though my probs seem to have been remedied at this point, I don't doubt a bit that what you posted could well hold true!!!!! As usual.......anything that seems to be working just fine is NEVER good enough for the "creater" of the program/product etc. and they can never just leave well enough alone....just as Windows/Microsoft.....and any others in today's world.

I definitely am going to check out the Win10 community forum you mentioned, as I'm going to be purchasing a second computer for our home in the next couple of days. My husband uses the computer A LOT for his home repair/remodling business that he had no choice but to start after the IRONWORKERS couldn't bring in enough work to keep him going for more than 2-3 months a year for the last 4-5 yrs.!!!!! Hence.....LOL.....one computer in this house is suddenly NOT enough!!!!!! And.....since most new computers in 2016 come with Windows 10 already Pre-Installed.....Microsoft Edge is unavoidable. So.....thanks again WAWood and HUGS!!!!!! I'm going to do my research. Unfortunately I'm not financially blessed enough to be able to fork out hundreds of dollars on computers every year like some folks!!!! (sigh)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I haven't experienced this in Windows 10.Edge, but I have seen redirect viruses a few times before (my laptop once & a couple of friends' machines). I was able in all three instances to get rid of it using a series of free (or free to try) malware removal tools found here:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-browser-redirect-virus/

If HP Forums does not allow URLs to be posted, search [redirect virus blog] to find Malwaretips. It's a series of 10 steps (I never got all the way to 10 - problem was solved each time around step 7 or 8). You may be famliliar with one or all of these packages but they are effective, & if you are not so advanced, they're easy to use from this site as it is step-by-step detailed instructions. Good luck!  DV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh wow Doug. LOL....wish I'd have known about these before yesterday. I did umpteen million searches for almost two days, yet....never saw any of these. Probably because the "re-direct" and site freezing, and "not-responding" problems wouldn't let me get far enough to find them!!!!! But....am going to make note of your info for future reference as I'm fixin' to buy a new 2nd computer which will undoubtedly have Windows Edge/10 already Pre-Installed!!!! So....thank you bunches and bunches. Am going to check that out tomorrow before I go computer shopping on Friday!!!!! Hugs my friend....and TY again for your care and feedback!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
228 217 14 53
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is why I use Firefox. Lots of redirects and popups in Edge.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation