Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (221 Views)

Must have made typo in password set up. Locked out of new pc

Product Name: Hp 15 ay078
Purchased a new laptop and skipped making the MS email but created a password for my account.

When I booted up my pc later on I was greeted with an incorrect password message. I must have made a typo in the pw set up because it does not work.

I also didnt create a recovery disk because I had literally only used it for 30 mins before turning it off and this problem was the last thing I ever expected to happen.

There is only one account and it's the one that is locked. A to rendered a $600 purchase obsolete until I can fix it.

All help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (200 Views)

Re: Must have made typo in password set up. Locked out of new pc

Follow the procedure -"Recovery when Windows does not start correctly". This will restore the notebook to Factory setup to start over.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

****Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your problem****
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (190 Views)

I can't get past the "select keyboard layout" because it requires a password of the account chosen.

Provost
Message 4 of 6 (184 Views)

Your post is the second one recently where System Recovery asks for a password. Not sure what the heck is going on with that as you should not need a password. All I can suggest at this time is to call HP Support . They may be able to get you through this. If not they should sent out Recovery Media since you did not even have time to make yours. >>Contact HP

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (155 Views)

I was able to finally reset the thing. What I did was hit shift over the restart option and it sent me to a page where I went to troubleshooting and followed the rest of the path that allowed me to do a system recovery.

Hitting f11 at start up and all the others kept requiring a password. Getting to the system recovery option through the troubleshooting page was the only one that did not require a password.

Thanks BTW, for chiming in. Much appreciated
Provost
Message 6 of 6 (147 Views)

Glad you found a way around it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation