Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I noticed recently in my computer that my Nvidia graphics card wasn't "working" on my laptop, and after trying many fixes found an outdated bios to be the issue.  I upgraded the bios and it created some problems.

On the start up, I got a blue screen saying "not fully acpi compliant" and my computer wouldn't even start up.  My fix from looking around online was to turn on the computer while holding win+B, the computer beeped, and it started a bios recovery tool, and seemed to reflash itself.  After that the computer started fine, and the graphics card was working again. Yay!

But now every time I shut down, on start up it happens all over again.  The blue screen cutting off startup, I power off and back on with win+B, it reflashes, and everything is fine again.  So what's the real issue here? I shouldn't have to restore my bios every time I turn the computer on.

Computer: HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC         Product Number: A5F92AV

Windows 7 64-bit

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FYI - HP RECOVERY DISKS WERE NOT REQUIRED.

I received the disks from HP but decided to try one last ditch effort before I wiped my laptop.

I rolled my BIOS back to version F.13 and installed the latest Nvidia graphics driver from the Nvidia website.

Once I did this, I no longer received the "Not ACPI Compliant" blue screen upon bootup.  

**Important:  You must disable the HP Tools Update Assisant or it will automatically attempt to pull the latest BIOS and graphics drivers from the HP site after bootup.***

I have now rebooted my laptop 10-15 times over the past week without a single reoccurence.  HP needs to figure out what's going on and fix it, but until then, I plan to continue running on BIOS VF.13

I hope this works for everyone else.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Are you using a BIOS posted on your model's support page?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=5273735&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&task=&lang=en&cc=us

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the site I updated it from.  And it appears to be the current bios as well after the 4 different "recoveries" I've had when I turn on the computer.

bios f22.PNG

HP Recommended

I should add that I've also tried reinstalling the bios again all together with a new download and run a few days ago, just to have the same thing happen again once I shut down the computer.  During the reset when I was doing the second install I didn't get a blue screen though, so I thought it fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

You could always try the previous version of BIOS:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/previousVersions?softwareitem=ob-113555-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4...=

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I might give that a shot.

The most previous version is the one I upgraded from that wasn't supporting my Nvidia GPU.  I'll have to look into previous versions of my GPU driver as well.  I like the idea of having my drivers up to date though for better performance.  Is there a possibility of having a new bios update soon that may eliminate the problem with this one?

(or maybe it's a sign to get windows 😎

HP Recommended

***Update***

I decided since last posting that waiting for a new bios upgrade was probably my best bet to see if it solved the problem or if it was a hardware issue.  Until then I was just living with never shutting down my computer to avoid the freezeups, because everything else was working brilliantly.

I just installed some regular windows updates, and when my computer had to restart it didn't freeze.  I checked it twice more after the installations to see if the problem was gone. After a restart and a shut down with successful start ups, it looks like my problem has disappeared.  The bios is running fine and supporting my Nvidia card.

I'll add a screen shot I took of the update history in case anyone else was having this problem, I'm assuming one of them fixed my problem, because I hit the blue screen again two days ago when my computer turned itself off for an update. Today the bios is loading fine.  I'll come back to this forum if the problem ever arises again just to re-update.

update history 010913.PNG

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC / Product Number: A5F92AV / Windows 7 (64-bit)

Appear to  be having an issue identical to the one described in this initial post.  Initial error occurred immediately after the installation of the latest Nvidia graphics driver update.  Blue screen stating "BIOS not fully ACPI compliant".  After reading through several forums online, this appears to be the only one discussing this exact issue on this exact laptop model.  I have also had success getting th OS to boot using the "win+B" BIOS recovery tool, but it is becoming an annoyance.  I have installed all current drivers and installed all updates currently available via Microsoft Update.  Below are screenshots of all applicable driver versions and windows updates.  Please let me know if there is a way to resolve this issue without doing a complete reinstallation of the system using HP recovery disks.

Capture updates.PNG

Capture nv8.PNG

Capture hd19.PNG

HP Recommended
After my post thinking the problem disappeared, the problem came back again a few days later. I decided to wait it out until the next bios update, since downgrading to a previous version was not letting my Nvidia card work on every driver I tried.
I'm on the newest bios for our system, F.23. For a couple days the problem was gone and I thought the new bios fixed it. But it started happening again. I'm afraid that can only mean it's a hardware issue that I will need to get fixed. The problem is I can't go 2 weeks without my computer while I mail it to HP, I need it for school right now.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  That does not sound promising.  I read a separate post which stated that HP phone support recommended a full reinstall using the HP recovery disks would resolve the issue.  HP Support will reportedly provide them at no cost for this particular issue.  I called and should be receiving them shortly.  I've backed up all my files in preparation for the re-installation.  Personnally, I tend to agree with your assessment.  I'm concerned that it's a hardware issue which will require it to be sent back to HP for repair.  Hopefully, we're wrong...... I'll repost after the wipe and let everyone know if it fixed the issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.